Quest M3 Mods - Page 23

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
thepilgrimsdream

#221: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

djbetterly wrote:That's amazing, thank you. Do I ask her for thepilgrimsdream special? :lol:

Haha, no. I've emailed her to buy parts, doubt she knows my user name here. Lol

AssafL

#222: Post by AssafL »

Or you could roll your own (drill some holes in your existing drum). Some DIY satisfaction...
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

djbetterly
Supporter ♡

#223: Post by djbetterly »

That was going to be my next question actually. Currently my drum is open on the back like all the drums that come stock, but I did drill holes on the back side of the drum wall. I noticed a huge difference when I did that. I am curious what the advantage is of the drum @thepilgrimsdream purchased vs a complete open back drum with holes at the back edge.

AssafL

#224: Post by AssafL replying to djbetterly »

Apart from the postmodern "everything is always different" why would there be a difference?

One advantage Molly's solution has is that she can drill larger holes, while you have drill them small enough to ensure peaberries don't fall through or get stuck in the holes...

Airflow is constricted by the holes. If you drill too few holes, it will be too constricted. If you drill too many - airflow may be too much. You could copy Molly's number and size of holes, or try your own.

thepilgrimsdream

#225: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

djbetterly wrote:That was going to be my next question actually. Currently my drum is open on the back like all the drums that come stock, but I did drill holes on the back side of the drum wall. I noticed a huge difference when I did that. I am curious what the advantage is of the drum @thepilgrimsdream purchased vs a complete open back drum with holes at the back edge.
I have the heart of a DIY'er, but unfortunately not the skill. I got the new drum just because my free time is very little and I didn't want to deal with any mistakes that I am prone to making.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#226: Post by FotonDrv replying to thepilgrimsdream »

Yep, time has value over and above monetary consequence. Nobody has figured out how to make time, yet :D
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

RedMan

#227: Post by RedMan replying to FotonDrv »

Very interested in improving airflow in my quest roaster and you guys have convinced me, I'm going to contact Molly to buy this new type of drum for it.

Have any of you also cut the resistor to the fan so you get the full range of speeds on it? (A mod described by someone with pics and all, but I don't remember if it was in this thread). Or is that mod maybe not as useful on a drum with perforated back wall as airflow is improved anyway?
All we need to do to make more time is to go faster than light Stephen, shouldn't be a problem :)

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#228: Post by FotonDrv »

I did not cut the resistor. When you put in the new drum and cut out the louvers in the back of the Quest you will realize that getting more responsiveness out of the fan is now happening. You can get a real blast of air if you want , or just a trickle so don't cut that resistor until you see how well the fan vent and drum mods works.

AssafL

#229: Post by AssafL »

FotonDrv wrote:Yep, time has value over and above monetary consequence. Nobody has figured out how to make time, yet :D
That's what my friends tell me when I am roasting coffee. A bit circuitous?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#230: Post by FotonDrv replying to AssafL »

Life is very circuitous, you start out not being able to care for yourself and you end up the same way if you live long enough.

So as the Roaster Drum of life goes round and round it is a good place to meditate on all else :D