Quest M3 Mods - Page 20

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#191: Post by FotonDrv »

millcityroasters wrote:Maybe for delivery north or south of the equator?
:lol:
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

AssafL

#192: Post by AssafL »

millcityroasters wrote:Maybe for delivery north or south of the equator? .
Coriolis effect on coffee roasters. Luv it. LOL.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#193: Post by FotonDrv replying to AssafL »

I ordered my new style drum (M3s) yesterday, so we will see if both of us being in the northern hemisphere works :lol:

I was having difficulty with my espresso machine's drip tray throwing water to one side of the drain cup , always the same side, to the left, and I could never get a response from anyone else who owns one of those machines in the southern hemisphere to comment about throwing water to the right side even though they commented that it did indeed throw water!!??! :lol:

I am betting this new drum might even be better than the old one as far as being true/round. I will do a short video with it in a lathe to demonstrate.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#194: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Here's a quick screenshot of a roast I just did. Note the incredibly fast uptick on the black line right after drying, when I turned my fan on. That probe represents my ET, and is also dampened,5 second measurement interval, etc. It certainly seems to show the increased responsiveness to bringing heated air properly thru the drum with the rear perforated wall.

I believe some of the credit is also due to cutting out the rear blower slats on the body of the roaster as well.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#195: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks for that Post Tom :D

happycat

#196: Post by happycat »

TomC wrote: I believe some of the credit is also due to cutting out the rear blower slats on the body of the roaster as well.

<image>
Has anyone else tried this? May be my next mod... Might try bending perpendicular first for safety
LMWDP #603

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#197: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to happycat »

I know someone else has done it, they posted about it in the Roasting section somewhere. Hopefully they'll chime in.

I am kinda wishing the original, thicker drum was the modified one. That, or just accept that the way the roaster functions is going to be different. After several years with the original thick drum, it seemed capable of a small bit of coasting. Now, with the modified and thinner drum, I don't see that heat retention as much. I have to "push" the roaster the way I want to go a bit more now, but it's a great deal more responsive. Instead of a sled, its sharp ice skates :) if that makes any sense.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Beanz

#198: Post by Beanz »

I note in the protoypes people have made the holes go to the edge of the drum but on the Quest modified drum they stop a few mm from the edge, hard to estimate from the photo's but maybe 20mm ? The only reason I can think of is that this stops smaller beans falling through the holes. Does this have any noticeable effect on the airflow or beans compared to the original prototypes ?

AndreG
Supporter ♡

#199: Post by AndreG »

I've drilled 5mm on the whole surface of the back plate without debris under the drum. The Drum Fan is set at 1 on the dial and a bit more. The ventilation is quite sufficient. There again depends on what you are aiming for.

After the modification, you will able to practice Rao's 3 commandements and acheive them.

happycat

#200: Post by happycat »

TomC wrote:but it's a great deal more responsive. Instead of a sled, its sharp ice skates :) if that makes any sense.
Absolutely. I still haven't captured the change since drilling holes but I think your description makes sense. I think I used to coast more and got used to the general inertia. Now using higher fan... I will bend my slats before the next roast and see how it goes. Thanks for the continued sharing.
LMWDP #603