Quest M3 Mods - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by FotonDrv »

That is a very new one and must be from a new batch being made. I wonder why they changed the setup??
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Bob_McBob

#12: Post by Bob_McBob »

I was rather confused after unpacking an M3 I received from the factory today, so it's good to see I didn't get a random wonky "Friday afternoon" unit. My roaster is a brand new August 2013 production model, and the faceplate is reversed from all the other photos I've seen, just like Terence's. The drum rotates counterclockwise, so I assume this is an intentional design change. It looks like everything is perfectly mirrored, but I will have to find a diagram to check, so I know whether I need to worry about probe placement with the new revision.
Chris

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by FotonDrv »

My faceplate is on the original side configuration (Trier on left w/clockwise rotation) yet apparently the drum thickness is new style. Interesting. According to the "Data" plate mine was made "2012 11", which must mean Nov of 2012.

Terence, when was your made?

Bob, does yours have the .063" thickness metal for the drum?

Bob_McBob

#14: Post by Bob_McBob »

FotonDrv wrote:Bob, does yours have the .063" thickness metal for the drum?
I can't get an accurate measurement right now, but it's almost certainly the thinner drum. I will take some photos of everything when the light is better tomorrow. I am assuming the front panel is just mirrored and the drum is reversed (including the fins) so I can safely install probes in all the standard locations, but I want to be certain before ordering parts from Eric.

What a weird version change :?
Chris

kwantfm

#15: Post by kwantfm »

Mine is 2013 06. The drum rotates counter clockwise. I have thermocouples in the standard positions.
LMWDP #602

kwantfm

#16: Post by kwantfm »

I've now got a bean loading funnel for my Quest...

It's a 4" to 1.5" stainless steel reducer with 2" of 1.5" stainless steel pipe welded to it. Works very well!
LMWDP #602

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#17: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Very nice! I wish they'd provide one that was big enough in neck diameter to move beans thru easily, and just long enough to bypass the horizontal exhaust tube. It would be one less niggling task to take care of after dumping in the beans. I've searched online and the ones that look decent usually have too narrow of a neck to work right. Canning jar funnels are too wide in neck diameter. Ugghh.. :evil:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

kwantfm

#18: Post by kwantfm »

Even with the 1.5" ID there is a slight bottle neck, the beans might stay caught up for less than half a second, but the effect is quite pleasing. Shows how wide the neck needs to be for there to be no delay.
LMWDP #602

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Italyhound »

I got custom knobs and a longer trier from Fotondrv and couldn't be happier. Great guy to deal with!

To get that labrador retriever image on the loading chute, you will need to buy an inquisitive doggy. Stephen doesn't do holograms ---- yet!

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by FotonDrv »

kwantfm wrote:I've now got a bean loading funnel for my Quest...

<image>

It's a 4" to 1.5" stainless steel reducer with 2" of 1.5" stainless steel pipe welded to it. Works very well!
Nice funnel, you must have access to a sheet metal shop that can weld stainless!

Does that straight tube part extend past the cross heat return pipe/carry handle on Quest?

I made my funnel out of scrap in the shop and it is heavy but the beans slide down to the bottom of the load chute easily and sure makes loading Quest a snap. If I had a sheet metal shop around here I would use them for sure!!