Quest M3 : Disassembling to swap heating elements - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Nunas »

What email address are you using? questm3roaster@gmail.com is for Molly and questroaster@gmail.com is for Melody. I've no idea if either of these two are still working, though. Perhaps someone who has a good contact at Sweet Maria's/Coffee Shrub could verify if these are still valid email addresses, since they sell these roasters. Life would be much easier if SM/CS stocked a few commonly needed spare parts instead of referring us to Quest in Taiwan...just saying :wink:

Antonee

#22: Post by Antonee »

I emailed Molly at questm3roaster@gmail.com earlier today and just got a response:
Heating element is USD37/pair
Freight via POST air parcel is about USD25, takes about 2 week to deliver to Canada.

For directly ordering, please advise us your info below for our issuing invoice for you
1. Paypal mail address
2. Consignee address
3. Phone number

Or you may send payment directly to our Paypal account:
questroaster@gmail.com
(No m3 in the address)

Best rgds,
Molly

AndreG

#23: Post by AndreG »

I just received a pair from Molly. My Quest is a 2012, the elements are a bit different ( an explanation leaf comes with them). The machine is now hotter and I do have to adapt my technique to them.

Antonee

#24: Post by Antonee replying to AndreG »

Thanks for the info. Mine is a 2013 so I'll probably have the same experience. What is the difference other than the increased power?

Zanderfy

#25: Post by Zanderfy »

Nunas wrote:What email address are you using? questm3roaster@gmail.com is for Molly and questroaster@gmail.com is for Melody. I've no idea if either of these two are still working, though.
Just to update my previous message, Molly reached out via email and we're back to business as usual! 8)

AndreG

#26: Post by AndreG »

The machine was very constant before changing the heaters; now it's hyper...

I changed the elements because I wanted to do preventive maintenance on the machine.

I had a reading of 24.4 Ohms on the old ones. The new are at 20.4 Ohms.

I modified the machine quite a bit since 2012 thus I am questioning some of my work. I still have to do tests for a solid verdict.

I observed that the power settings is hyper sensitive. You set the amperage then wait a few seconds and reajust. Dry End comes-in faster (3.4 minutes) compare to 5. I cut the power after loading the beans and reaply before turn around; I use a heat blanket. The terminals are bigger and I had to cut the old ones in half to fit. Molly sends explanations on how to proceed.

I use Phidgets. I put in an order for there HUB HUB0001 new hub (January 2022); they advertise that comunications are 10 times faster but voltage input Intervals are the same but the noise level caught my attention. I am crossing my fingers. https://www.phidgets.com/?prodid=1202

I hope this helps...

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by Nunas »

I observed that the power settings is hyper sensitive. You set the amperage then wait a few seconds and reajust.
This is normal for heaters. As they heat up, their resistance changes. You notice this more on the more powerful heaters. Your new heaters are approximately 20% more powerful than the old ones.

Antonee

#28: Post by Antonee »

AndreG wrote: I observed that the power settings is hyper sensitive. You set the amperage then wait a few seconds and reajust. Dry End comes-in faster (3.4 minutes) compare to 5. I cut the power after loading the beans and reaply before turn around; I use a heat blanket. The terminals are bigger and I had to cut the old ones in half to fit. Molly sends explanations on how to proceed.
Thanks for sharing. I just put in my payment for new heaters (to replace a dead one..) and look forward to trying the new more powerful heaters.
AndreG wrote: I use Phidgets. I put in an order for there HUB HUB0001 new hub (January 2022); they advertise that comunications are 10 times faster but voltage input Intervals are the same but the noise level caught my attention. I am crossing my fingers. https://www.phidgets.com/?prodid=1202
Oh cool, I look forward to hearing about your experience. I think I might switch to a Phidget setup from my current Omega device as I want to be able to measure ambient temp at the inlet in addition to BT and ET.

AndreG

#29: Post by AndreG »

I had a TC4C that died. I chose the Phidgets for ease of use. The Artisan site and users have posted on them. The hard part is to get smooth lines. When it is done it is solid. Phidgets will offer upgrades occasionally.

I suggest the mounting plate and the USB Isolator and it's Acrylic encloser. I had no problems but it is an insurance to save your computer if something goes wrong.

I wish you well!