Quest M3 Buying Decision - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Arpi

#21: Post by Arpi »

I think that person was bringing down the power at minute 2:45. It is easy to play around and do things like that when the roaster is brand new. I would not expect to see good roasts till after gaining some time.

If you are worried about power and fast temp rising, the US version is very powerful like 1200W max at room temp dropping to 1000W when heating element gets hot. To give you a comparison, I think the hottop is rated at 750W but it may go higher than that. This roaster is rated at 900W. Cannot speak for the 240V model since it may have a different heating arrengement.

Anyway, I'll be doing some roasting later this evening and I'll double check but from last weekend, it was quite powerful and the temp can rise fast.

Cheers

rotuts

#22: Post by rotuts »

Ive only recently become aware of the M3 and am quite interested.

however the Arpi 'manual' link which Id love to read does not get me anywhere to DL it. has the 'manual' been pulled?

Id still love to take a look at it

many many thanks for all the time and work that went into the M3 threads!
:D

EricC
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by EricC »

Arpi

#24: Post by Arpi »

Oops. The link has been corrected. I also made some fast changes to the file. Remember that this is not a "real" manual. It was my way to try to learn by putting together pieces of information. As time goes by, I become aware of more things and the manual changes.

This is the link:

http://questm3.googlegroups.com/web/q3manual.doc

Cheers

rotuts

#25: Post by rotuts »

many thanks again for all your hard work and very fast reply. I get this machine if I feel it will give me reproducible results without a lot of tinkering

a while ago I used to tinker a lot. too bad I dont any more. Im really looking for a reliable close to bean mass temp without using TC wires. Ive had trouble with them on my i-roast 2 and converted to a Taylor long probe analog thermmometer through the top drilled out!

shows where I am in my roasting!

thanks again!

Dieter01

#26: Post by Dieter01 »

I contacted the Fairy selling M3 a couple of weeks ago but have not received a reply. Anyone know whats cooking?

Ken Fox

#27: Post by Ken Fox replying to Dieter01 »

This is the email address I have for them (probably same as yours): fairy0025@hotmail.com

I'd send another email, I'd imagine it just got lost in the email ether.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

Whale

#28: Post by Whale »

There might be more to this...

Tom at Sweet Maria's is about to list the Quest M3 for sale, possibly on Coffeeshrub.com. It was suppose to happen last week but it is still pending. Tom wrote that he had received "them". How many is not said.

Anyway, If Tom has brokered or is negotiating a US or N. American exclusivity deal, it would make sense that Molly (the Fairy) would be quiet...

Just a theory...
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

rama

#29: Post by rama »

I like Whale's theory. Tom is definitely working with the M3. Perhaps he just acquired all the available stock and its on the slow boat over...

Given all the reports about heating element frying, my hope is the delay is because there's a v2 in the works that addresses this.

rotuts

#30: Post by rotuts »

Ive been told by SM that there are some issues in how the machines will be packed and shipped.

other people who purchased the Quest later than Tom do not seem to have the 'burn out' problem, but I hope that the shipping model has worked this out.

Im very keen on a Quest, but with two analog dial thermometers as mentioned in the quest evaluation thread near the end

there is a photo from Korea with a red dot at the uppper 2 O'clock position.

cheers!