Quest Handbook Looking for Comments/Help

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Nunas »

When I got my M3, I was unimpressed with the instructions that came with it. So, I rewrote them and added a few things that I learned along the way. Recently, Molly sent me the instructions for my new M6, which is on its way. They are not much better than the one for my M3. So, I updated my M3 redraft to adapt it to the M6. As I worked, I got the idea that something more akin to a handbook might be useful. I've just completed a rough draft. I think this would be of interest to Quest owners in general and be a good source of information for prospective Quest owners. My goal is to make this document freely available here on H-B without copyright.

I'm seeking collaboration. I propose to put the draft on my Google Drive account and make it available to Quest owners who are willing to help improve the draft. Someone good at editing would be helpful. Those who have experience with each of the models: Original M3, M3-Mk-2, M3s and the M6 would be useful. I'm now taking a stab at a section on modifications, so input from those who have modified their roasters would be useful.

If you are interested in helping out, please PM me. I'll respond with GoogleDrive access information.

Maurice

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

This project is well underway. I wasn't overwhelmed by volunteers though :wink: We have one-person concentrating on the M3s version, one on computer interface to Artisan, and two of us kind of generally. We could really use someone to concentrate on modifications. This would entail scanning the various websites for ideas and writing a summary of each one (as opposed to a complete tutorial on how to do them). Any takers? We also need someone with hands-on M6 experience. I have not received mine yet, so we're flying a little blind there.

sebiiksbcs

#3: Post by sebiiksbcs »

FWIW if at any point you need someone who understands the original Mandarin documentation or need help communicating with the Quest workshop people I'm your guy. (I've read the M3s manual in Mandarin and English and it's just badly translated)

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas (original poster) replying to sebiiksbcs »

Thanks. I've PMed you a link to the files and a few notes.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

Would someone who owns or owned an unmodified Quest M3 (original version) please confirm how the blower control works?

In the Mk-2 and the M3s, an internal resistor prevents the blower from being stopped completely.

I don't have my M6 yet, but I understand that its blower control stops the fan when turned totally anticlockwise, and the blower motor only starts to turn at about 3.8 on the dial.

Does the original work like the Mk-2 and the M3s, or can the blower motor be stopped entirely, as described above for the M6?

While we're at it, can someone with an M6 please confirm our understanding of how it works?

Thanks!
Maurice

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

sebiiksbcs wrote:FWIW if at any point you need someone who understands the original Mandarin documentation or need help communicating with the Quest workshop people I'm your guy. (I've read the M3s manual in Mandarin and English and it's just badly translated)
I PMed you but have not received a reply. I think your help would be very useful.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

We could really use someone to help with the modifications section. I've not modified my M3 at all, so have very little hands-on with changes, venting and the like. Please PM me if interested.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

Help Needed: 110 vs 120 version heaters. Help needed from someone with a 220-Volt version. On the 110-volt version, the two heaters are wired in parallel. The question is, do the 220-volt units use the same heaters but wired in series, or do they use parallel heaters sized for the higher voltage. The right person would know this right away, as heater failure makes this obvious. If a heater fails on the 110-volt models, the Quest suddenly will only roast to half the power. If the 220-volt units are wired in series, then the unit will not heat at all if either element fails. Tnx!

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

Note to contributors: I have completed the first draft. You can find it on GoogleDrive at the provided link. Unless I get a bunch of comments from you in about a week, I'll post it here on H-B for everyone to see. Please advise me by email or PM if you'd like your name mentioned on the document.

Note to Quest users and those interested: I think we've got a rather nice manual almost ready.

Cheers,
Maurice

Beanz

#10: Post by Beanz »

Nunas wrote:Help Needed: The question is, do the 220-volt units use the same heaters but wired in series, or do they use parallel heaters sized for the higher voltage.
The elements are wired in series on the 220 / 240 volt unit