Quakers

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
★ Helpful

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

Usually I pick much lighter beans or empty shells from the cooling bin but not systematically, may want to revisit that...thanks for sharing!
LMWDP #483

Almico

#3: Post by Almico »

If you like naturals, you have quakers.

I made a cup of quakers some time last year just to see if they ruin a cup. They do not. It was a pretty bland, empty taste, but nothing offensive.

jevenator

#4: Post by jevenator »

Sweet Maria's also posted on this not too long ago. I still take them out when I see them. I was doing like 260g charges and 1 or 2 were very obvious. They tasted like popcorn to me...

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

Almico wrote:If you like naturals, you have quakers.

I made a cup of quakers some time last year just to see if they ruin a cup. They do not. It was a pretty bland, empty taste, but nothing offensive.
cool, that is good news as it likely means they can stay in the mix!
LMWDP #483

Almico

#6: Post by Almico »

I take them out when I see them, but I no longer screen an entire roast.

Color me crazy, but I also made a cup of shells to see what they taste like. Surprisingly, they taste like nothing.

Insect damaged beans are some to look out for. Rwanda and Burundi coffees are subject to the potato defect, where one affected bean will ruin a whole pot of coffee.

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

It's a great short article, but also a bit of an advert. I don't mind that, but it should be apparent that it's a sales-pitch.

Most quakers I've sorted out of East African coffees usually have a popcorn aroma or a smell akin to what makeup concealer powder smells like (an off-putting fake floral obnoxious grandma's perfume smell).
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Skylander

#8: Post by Skylander »

Had the opportunity to taste that potato defect at a cupping event once...that is no joke. Pretty crazy how one bean can spoil the batch. You can't miss it when you get it.