A Pink Bourbon is...NOT a Bourbon

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#1: Post by Boldjava »

"All five are containing Pink Bourbon, which has nothing to do with Bourbon, as it is an Ethiopian landrace. People would say it is a mutation of Bourbon; it could not be further away from truth."

Very long blog on 2 series of DNA testing on Pink Bourbons. Both show that Pink Bourbons are an Ethiopian bean transported to Colombia and misnamed as it is not a Bourbon. It is its own variety. (Yeah, but they are good.)

Let's see if Jim weighs in on the DNA analysis and comes to same conclusion.

DB

https://www.cafeimports.com/blog/2023/0 ... ty-coffee/
-----
LMWDP #339

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Wow. I simply assumed that it was a Bourbon offshoot, becasue of the name. I don't have enough experience with them to really have a strong opinion about their tate similarities.

The question mark is that there was no really close match. If you assume that in this kind of test, even the two most different arabica coffees will match over 50%, the 70% to 80% range indicates that it might be a cross between two very different varietals, perhaps an Ethiopean and a Catimor?

If that is the case, the most similar coffee to Pink bourbon might be the H1 hybrid, which is also a catimor/ethiopian cross. Has anyone done this comparison?
Sey Coffee wrote:ABOUT H1
H1 is a first-generation (F1) hybrid originating from a cross between rust-resistant T5296 and the Ethiopian landrace variety Rume Sudan. It is resistant to coffee leaf rust, very high yielding, and shows potential for exceptional cup quality. F1 hybrid parents are typically chosen to be genetically distant from one another to maximize what is called hybrid vigor. This translates to high yields and overall vitality (for example, tolerance to frost), without reductions in cup quality or disease resistance. There are only a handful of F1 hybrid coffee varieties in the world-most of which were developed in the last ten years, and only recently made commercially available to farmers.
Sagebrush Coffee wrote:Advantages of the Pink Bourbon Variety
As I stated earlier, the Bourbon bean is very susceptible to disease because the cherry matures so quickly. But, what is interesting about the Pink Bourbon is that because it is a hybrid, it's stronger and sturdier than traditional the Bourbon. It helps to solve the problem of early maturation and helps with producing higher and healthier yields. You have to be careful with it though, as the quality of the coffee can vary depending on how it is farmed. When farmed right, it creates a delicious cup of coffee.
Jim Schulman

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

:P So a short soak in your favorite bourbon and all is well. :P Sorry couldn't resist.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Aguirre

#4: Post by Aguirre »

I have limited experiente with pink bourbons, and one thing in particular that is very interesting about the one I have now is the density.

It's a DP coffee from Cauca, Colombia, grown at 2050m, and its density is around 10% lower than the average density of my other coffees. I don't have the numbers now with me, and I'll take accurate measurements later for my record, which I'm happy to share here, maybe in another topic about density and moisture overall.