Peru Challhuamayo cj1393

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bradm

#1: Post by bradm »

Here's a thread for the Peru that @sosha organized in the Green Coffee Exchange a few weeks ago. In short: good choice!

I started on the dark side of light for this first try, dropping right at the end of FC

https://roast.world/@bradm/roasts/gwJKFm-JVzxjHHvYpYVLx

The RoR intervals for this roast appear to be 30/24/12, not too far from @mkane 's target

I saved about 30g aside in a plastic bag for an early test, and stored the rest of the batch in a container with one-way valve.

At day 3, the dry grounds smelled fantastic with fig and sweet toffee, but the brewed flavors were a bit tart for me, peach cherry lemon and a little winey.

At day 7 I opened the sealed container. The flavors were completely smoothed out compared to day 3: a very pleasant, unusual-to-me combination of chocolate and sweet orange juice. The chocolate taste is darker than milk chocolate and not as dark as cocoa, so ok maybe chocolate fudge is it.

By day 10 the flavor remain but have thinned, and a little more coffee is needed to brew the same tasting cup.

This is the first really pronounced orange juice flavor I've had. It's really very nice. This reinforces the theory that all of the crown jewels are really good. Thanks Patty!

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane »

I bought some of that from Patty. Very nice in the cup. Excellent write up.

And that 30/20/10 target is not something I came up with. Someone much smarter than I did. It's just something I strive for. Enough heat but, not too much.

Mythraindeer

#3: Post by Mythraindeer replying to mkane »

What is this 30/20/10 target of which you speak?

GC7

#4: Post by GC7 »

mkane wrote:I bought some of that from Patty. Very nice in the cup. Excellent write up.

And that 30/20/10 target is not something I came up with. Someone much smarter than I did. It's just something I strive for. Enough heat but, not too much.
Mike- I've read Brad writing about these ratios before and have an idea of how it's used but I could stand a nice discussion. Perhaps you might start a new thread with your thoughts on this topic and it can be expanded by others. THANKS!

mkane
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mkane »

Mythraindeer wrote:What is this 30/20/10 target of which you speak?

Those are average R0R temps during each phase

mkane
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mkane »

GC7 wrote:Mike- I've read Brad writing about these ratios before and have an idea of how it's used but I could stand a nice discussion. Perhaps you might start a new thread with your thoughts on this topic and it can be expanded by others. THANKS!
I'll start one but, I type with one finger. It may be short.

GC7

#7: Post by GC7 replying to mkane »

:D - Thanks

I've wondered about how this holds or works when trying to hit different roast levels. I look forward to theory and discussion.