Panama Elida Natural Catuai - Klatch

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mkane »

Bought this from Klatch. Some of you read my coffee struggles on a previous thread. I bought green and roasted. I'll taste the roasted coffee today and grind some beans of my roast, let em' sit for an hours and compare. Since that thread we have changed out the Artisan filters in the RO system and now have 127 ppm instead of 61. Coffees good again.

GC7

#2: Post by GC7 »

I roasted my first batch yesterday. I stopped the roast probably 3/4 through first crack with 90 sec. development.

This morning it had intense raspberry and strawberry smell. This coffee will be special. Years ago when I first tried the bean the espresso reminded me of salt water taffy. It was unique and delicious.

Almico

#3: Post by Almico replying to GC7 »

That's it. A little lighter=more strawberry, slightly more=raspberry. It develops very quickly in the roaster. I've been dropping around 1:10.

tgappmayer

#4: Post by tgappmayer »

Ha, we must have similar tastes in coffees because I also just ordered 10#s from Klatch. Profile #2 looks like money to me, I'm curious how these both taste. I should have ordered Klatch's roasted version of this coffee.

I'll roast this weekend or early next week and share my thoughts. I can't get as nice of profiles on my M3s (it's no Buckeye!) but I'm stoked to roast and share. Thinking the same general idea - 15-18 degrees of post-1cs development for a nice City+. Of course - I charge hotter and turn slower, but it is what it is.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Brewzologist »

Still have a few lbs of 2019 left and just ordered 10lbs of 2020. Inventory is building... gotta drink more coffee! :)

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Drinking a cup of the roasted beans I bought from Klatch. No strawberry but there is some kind of berry showing through as the cup cools. Now fading a bit as it cools more.

GC7

#7: Post by GC7 »

tgappmayer wrote: Thinking the same general idea - 15-18 degrees of post-1cs development for a nice City+. Of course - I charge hotter and turn slower, but it is what it is.
My years ago experience with this coffee was it will get away from you in the roaster. If I was to wait 15-18 degrees "after 1C ends" you have gone way too far even for espresso. If you want 15-18 degrees from first audible snaps of 1C you could be spot on. I believe my roast went several degrees more than that still in somewhat active 1C.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

tgappmayer wrote:Ha, we must have similar tastes in coffees because I also just ordered 10#s from Klatch. Profile #2 looks like money to me, I'm curious how these both taste. I should have ordered Klatch's roasted version of this coffee.
Double Ha, same boat, 10# and didn't order their roast. I do like their packaging though.

I know Alan mentioned 1:3 for espresso; anyone else have thoughts on that?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

tgappmayer

#9: Post by tgappmayer »

GC7 wrote:My years ago experience with this coffee was it will get away from you in the roaster. If I was to wait 15-18 degrees "after 1C ends" you have gone way too far even for espresso. If you want 15-18 degrees from first audible snaps of 1C you could be spot on. I believe my roast went several degrees more than that still in somewhat active 1C.

yep, 15 degrees post 1cs start, not 15 deg post 1c end... i don't think i take any coffees to 15 post 1c end. that's pretty dark.

so excited to try this out!
carefreebuzzbuzz wrote:Double Ha, same boat, 10# and didn't order their roast. I do like their packaging though.
i do too! but now i officially have way too much green coffee. i guess the only thing to do is upgrade to a Bullet so I can roast more of it faster...

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Brewzologist »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:I know Alan mentioned 1:3 for espresso; anyone else have thoughts on that?
+1. That advice worked for me.