Panama Elida Natural 2019 - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by mkane »

And todays. I'm wondering what the new analyzer function will do to this.

Ora

#22: Post by Ora »

Using a behmorAnd I might have pulled this too early. Didn't get any cracks during first, and was just starting to crack when I pulled it. I pulled early because lately the other beans I was roasting didn't start cracking until almost done with first crack so I kind of panicked with this one and pulled it early while aiming for a Nordic style roast. It's hard to grind and more golden than brown looking beans, but no grassy straw taste. A bit muted flavors but very sweet 4 days post roast. I'm hoping after a few more days resting the flavors will come out more as I tried it the second day after roast, grinding it an hour early and it was a very muted cup, though really silky body.

You guys getting normal popping during first crack or is it delayed?

Chert

#23: Post by Chert »

I ordered a bag. I want to roast and compare to other naturals I'm enjoying, Brazil Pedra Branca and Costa Rica Las Lajas.
LMWDP #198

false1001 (original poster)

#24: Post by false1001 (original poster) »

Ora wrote:Using a behmorAnd I might have pulled this too early. Didn't get any cracks during first, and was just starting to crack when I pulled it. I pulled early because lately the other beans I was roasting didn't start cracking until almost done with first crack so I kind of panicked with this one and pulled it early while aiming for a Nordic style roast. It's hard to grind and more golden than brown looking beans, but no grassy straw taste. A bit muted flavors but very sweet 4 days post roast. I'm hoping after a few more days resting the flavors will come out more as I tried it the second day after roast, grinding it an hour early and it was a very muted cup, though really silky body.

You guys getting normal popping during first crack or is it delayed?
This coffee gave me a relatively muted first crack, I wouldn't worry about it too much if the results are good.

Ora

#25: Post by Ora replying to false1001 »

Hmm sounds like I pulled it a bit early. Maybe 20s more would've been better.

Chert

#26: Post by Chert »

Roastmaster labels this to recommend "midway between first and second crack" I have not been roasting naturals that or any fruit forward coffee beyond the end of first crack.
LMWDP #198

devlin2427

#27: Post by devlin2427 »

Tried my luck with a Panama Natural, think I could've gone lighter.

dale_cooper

#28: Post by dale_cooper »

devlin2427 wrote:Tried my luck with a Panama Natural, think I could've gone lighter.
Why do you think that? You had 3C of development temp increase... If its not underdeveloped, it has to be baked.

Jasper_8137

#29: Post by Jasper_8137 »

Chert wrote:Roastmaster labels this to recommend "midway between first and second crack" I have not been roasting naturals that or any fruit forward coffee beyond the end of first crack.
I've dropped all my roasts just into FC and have gotten tons of strawberry notes. I haven't taken it darker, but others have mentioned more "blueberry notes" with darker roasts.

devlin2427

#30: Post by devlin2427 »

dale_cooper wrote:Why do you think that? You had 3C of development temp increase... If its not underdeveloped, it has to be baked.
Can't really comment on baking, since I'm not a rao-church follower, but it's definitely not underdeveloped. Also, I'm not a naturals fan or expert so this might need some tinkering before I get it right.