Panama Dry Process Oscarito Gesha Roasting Discussion

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I don't recall a natural Panamanian Gesha coming thru Sweet Maria's in a long time. I figured we'd enjoy chatting about it. I got my two pounds yesterday. I'm tempted to roast a pound tonight.

I'll be looking for those intense florals and strawberries. I imagine if it scored higher in sweetness, we'd probably not even be able to get it via SM, it would probably hit an auction instead. But I'm still optimistic that it'll be impressive.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Cupping notes from Sweet Maria's for reference:

This dry process Gesha is a powerhouse of flavor, the complex cup profile consisting of the perfumed floral aspects of Gesha, with wild fruits that you might expect from a dry process Ethiopian coffee. Oscarcito is a potent smelling coffee straight away from the grinder. The dry fragrance has juicy fruit smells at City roast level, dried strawberry, passion fruit, and mango topping our list. You hit with an elegant floral jasmine note when pouring hot water on the grounds, but along with it comes hefty smells tropical fruits and berries too. Do your best to keep this coffee close to City roast level, where cup flavors are extremely tropical and juicy, but also proffering some bittering aspects of cacao nib that build out a substantial core coffee flavor. The hot cup is rife with sweet and somewhat rustic fruits, such as guava juice, dried mango and papaya, strawberry, and earth-toned accents of fig and date. The cooling cup opens up to some of that floral aroma sensed in the smells, jasmine obviously a big part of the profile, as well as hints of lilac. It's important to point out that while very much Gesha in flavor, the dominant flavor characteristics are fruit-forward, and very much in line with dry process African coffees we carry. The physical quality of the coffee is also worth mentioning, and can be seen in the image gallery. We found a few broca beetle damaged beans, not uncommon for coffee from the region, as well as some partial sour beans. In our opinion, the beans we found will not affect the cup flavors of a dry process coffee like this one. We did cull out beans with multiple bug holes that had led to secondary defects (see our video on this coffee specifically). I'm still doubtful they would come through in the cup already exploding with fruit flavors, but they are easy to spot and remove if you feel the need to do so!

GDM528

#3: Post by GDM528 »

TomC wrote:Cupping notes from Sweet Maria's for reference:

...We found a few broca beetle damaged beans, not uncommon for coffee from the region, as well as some partial sour beans.
"partial sour beans" - what is that? In context they imply it's a visual defect, in which case I'm curious what a sour bean looks like...

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to GDM528 »

GDM528

#5: Post by GDM528 »

Thanks for the link, and eww/gross/yikes! I have a 5lb bag of anaerobic slow dry natural process greens that look a lot like the sour beans... And I have (accidentally) tried some roasting profiles that confirmed the sour and grassy notes associated with 'sour' beans. Fortunately, there are roasting profiles that suppress those notes, and now I feel a bit less guilty deviating from canon to compensate for where the greens are starting from.

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by wingnutsglory »

Has anyone roasted this yet? I think it's up next for me.

addertooth

#7: Post by addertooth »

Not that specific bean. I have been quite impressed by the Panama Finca Lerida Geisha bean. It is one of my top two ever tried.

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

I'm watching this thread, too, since I've frozen a Panama Esmeralda Gesha and want to give it a good try. I saw a recent Mill City video about roasting a Gesha where the roaster started with a low charge temperature and maybe a brief soak and then cranked on the heat to do a fast roast. I won't clutter this thread with notes, since you're working with a different green.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to drgary »

That's interesting! I'll have to look for it. I still haven't fired off a batch of these yet. My coffee consumption has slowed to a crawl the past 2 months.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

Here you go:
This is for a washed gesha, I misremembered the charge temp. It's medium charge temp, fast roast.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!