Panama Dry Process Oscarito Gesha Roasting Discussion - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Rickpatbrown

#11: Post by Rickpatbrown »

So I took a crack at this. Awful profile. Hope I didn't ruin it.
I went for a 300g batch, instead of my usual 325, since the two pounds divides evenly into 300 g. I guess I should have tried with some throw away beans first. 325 is on the low end of the Huky's capacity ... although 300 seems to have worked, just not well.

Obviously, my gas settings are wrong.
But, my overall sense is that this bean roasted very normally. I used the Klatch Panama Finca Lerida natural as the background, but maybe caturra to gesha is too far off. They seemed to be similar in size and feel lowish on the density, but I didn't actually measure anything.

The Huky is low mass, so cutting heat in the begining doesn't really work. I should have given it full gas for at least the turn. The hard part with a small batch, I guess, is putting on the brakes. Here you see I had way to much speed going into first crack. I normally look for 405-410F drop temp for my light roasts.

The green bean smell incredible, though. They smell like grape bubble gum. Reminds me of being a kid!

Roast #2 November 2, 2022
Just finished these. I'll update with tasting notes in a few days after resting. Still struggling with the 300g charge. Better than last time, but not great. I only get one more crack at these.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Rick, I bet your roast lands perfectly. For a low mass roaster like the Huky, the modulations in the profile land more on heat input more than anything. I wouldn't expect this to land well on a protracted profile on such a roaster but on yours, at just north of 9 minutes, I bet it's incredible.

Remember, dialing in a roast matters more that you match the basic behavior of your roaster more than matching anyone else's profile. My 1 pound roaster has more mass, but with it's near infrared coating on a thick mild steel drum, it tends to roast faster than others, with better delta bean development.

If it wasn't for my belated birthday celebration, I'd actually be taking a stab at this coffee tonight. I had to work all day on my birthday (which happens to be National Coffee Day, September 29th,) I'd have time on my first day off today to take a stab at it. But a good concert with the Black Keys happens to take priority tonight.

Happy brewing, I imagine your roast will turn out quite well.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by wingnutsglory »

Haha..I'll show you awful! Behold.

It actually looked a lot funkier as it was roasting and the scale was set properly. For some reason, Artisan captured a great deal of pre-charge curve data that I couldn't edit out, so the rest of the roast view got really squeezed. Anyway, RoR wasn't very well managed...this bean just didn't respond at all like I'd expected and I ended up chasing things a bit and trying to recover. The roasted beans were good but not nearly as expected. I'll blame the roaster (the person, not machine).

Rickpatbrown

#14: Post by Rickpatbrown »

TomC wrote: If it wasn't for my belated birthday celebration, I'd actually be taking a stab at this coffee tonight. I had to work all day on my birthday (which happens to be National Coffee Day, September 29th,) I'd have time on my first day off today to take a stab at it. But a good concert with the Black Keys happens to take priority tonight.

Happy brewing, I imagine your roast will turn out quite well.
Happy belated birthday! The Black Keys are an awesome show. I couldn't believe how much sound two guys could make. The drummer was crushing water bottles the whole show because he was working so hard.

... I brewed a Chemex this morning (12hrs post roast). Let the ground coffee sit for about 5 minutes. Obviously, lots of CO2 and not optimal extraction, but dang!! Really good for a botched roast and poor extraction. Hope I can get it right in the next roast.

Also, next time Sweet Maria's limits there coffee, I might have to employee my neighbors to buy some too, lol. Kidding ... Not kidding :wink:

Rickpatbrown

#15: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Updated previous post (#11) with new roast. Need to wait a few days to taste. Panama Dry Process Oscarito Gesha Roasting Discussion

mpdeem
Team HB

#16: Post by mpdeem »

I missed out on the Oscarito but would be interested in hearing what everyone is tasting in this coffee. The flavor wheel indicated a very fruit forward profile which appeals to me.

I recall Sweet Maria's offered a Peterson Family Gesha (think it was a natural) a few years that was fabelous and very fruit forward with strawberries and a bubble gum like flavor. For those of you who are familiar with the Peterson - does the Oscarito taste anything like it?

Trjelenc

#17: Post by Trjelenc »

I don't have this coffee and have yet to roast a gesha, but allow me to try to armchair roaster your issues here. I have a solid drum so im not sure it applies if you're using perforated.

I would stick with 1 airflow setting and charge way lower. In all my roasts on my Huky for a while now I've been using just enough airflow to avoid having chaff rain down from the drum into the stove, which ends up being about 55 on my Variac, and I leave it there the whole roast. I've been having success with charging at around 380F and 4kpa from the start and making a 50% cut down to 2kpa some time around 300F.

300g is well within the Huky's wheelhouse. Here's a 302g roast I did last weekend. It's a washed Colombian, so very different from your gesha, but you can see the Huky (solid drum at least) doesn't have issues in temp data or response to gas changes at 300g.