On Idle Noise - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico

#61: Post by Almico »

Either my RTD or Phidget TMP-1200 crapped out. It did it last week, but I jiggled the wired and it started working. This time, no bueno. I had to scramble and put my old TC in and change Artisan settings.

Bunkmil

#62: Post by Bunkmil »

I know this thread is a bit old but I was considering an upgrade to a RTD setup to reduce the noise on my system. I went back to read the On Idle Noise post and noticed that it's been updated since it was first posted.

Apparatently Yoctopuce has updated the firmware on their TC module and now the level of noise is pretty similar to the Phidget TMP1101 and the TMP1100. Since I already have a TC setup this solution would be way cheaper than buying a whole new RTD kit.

Anyone tried those Yoctopuce TC with the updated firmware ?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#63: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I am bumping this thread to point out some updates from Yoctopuce.

Please check out the developments noted at the top of the article.

Below is the Summary but the article has been updated and is worth taking a look at.
UPDATE March 29, 2019: I got contacted by Marc from Yoctopuce, how informed me that they just released a new firmware v34795 for their Yoctopuce TC module with an improved sampling method. You can install this new firmware on your module easily using the VirtualHub as usual. Marc explains the technical details in a short article. I immediately tested the upgraded device again on my Idle Noise setup and can confirm that this new firmware reduces the noise level dramatically, putting it on par with the corresponding modules from Phidgets, like the TMP1101 or the TMP1100. These new results are added below, tagged with "new firmware" and marked in yellow.
Marc is already testing an updated module that adds a noise filter in hardware and should perform even better. So things are moving fast. As Marc kindly forwarded me one of their Yocto PT100 (RTD) modules I could measure that one too, which turns out to be a good alternative to the TMP1200. Results are also added below.
I could also improved the asynchronous sampling mode for Yoctopuce modules with the help of Marc, adding a 1sec* mode. This one will be available with the next Artisan version. As preview I added the idle noise results for this mode too.
I revised the table of technical details, correcting the number of decimals for the Yoctopuce TC, which is 3 and not 2 as listed incorrectly before. Finally, I added links to two articles by Marc explaining the effect of using poorly shielded USB cable (I was not aware of) and ground loops. Thanks Marc for all your support!
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

TomC
Team HB

#64: Post by TomC »

Im strongly considering pinning this thread. Its so resourceful.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Bunkmil

#65: Post by Bunkmil »

Is it possible to use 2 devices in Artisan ?

After reading the updated On Idle Noise article I ordered a Yoctopus TC. As it only has 2 TC slots (BT and ET) I am wondering if I could use my Phidget 1048 to record my MET probe. If so how ?

Thanks!

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#66: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

David,

Edited: misread your post. Extra Devices tab of Config>Devices.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

MaKoMo (original poster)

#67: Post by MaKoMo (original poster) »

Bunkmil wrote:Is it possible to use 2 devices in Artisan ?
Yes, Artisan can communicate with any number of devices.
Bunkmil wrote: After reading the updated On Idle Noise article I ordered a Yoctopus TC. As it only has 2 TC slots (BT and ET) I am wondering if I could use my Phidget 1048 to record my MET probe. If so how ?
Just add an extra device (menu Config >> Devices, Extra Device tab) and set its type to "Phidget 1048 4xTC 01" to read its first two inputs.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#68: Post by Brewzologist »

This thread elaborates on Marko's recommendations:
Adding a 3rd temperature probe to Artisan

Bunkmil

#69: Post by Bunkmil »

MaKoMo wrote:Yes, Artisan can communicate with any number of devices.

Just add an extra device (menu Config >> Devices, Extra Device tab) and set its type to "Phidget 1048 4xTC 01" to read its first two inputs.
Awesome! Thanks!