On Idle Noise - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico

#11: Post by Almico »

I think I got it. Thanks Marko!

And good luck proving Scott wrong :D

AlexGS

#12: Post by AlexGS »

Guys, before buying RTDs please rerun your tests with Artisan 1.6.2. I'm getting really interesting results making me to not want to "upgrade" to RTD.

Advertisement
Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Moxiechef »

I upgraded the other day and none of my phidgets would register. I deleted them and reloaded them but still nothing. Any thoughts?

MaKoMo (original poster)

#14: Post by MaKoMo (original poster) replying to Moxiechef »

If you are on Mac OS X 10.14, Artisan v1.6.1 will not be able to talk to the Phidgets driver. That version of Artisan is signed in a way that makes the security infrastructure of that system version to disallow this communication.

I released yesterday v1.6.2 that fixes this.

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Moxiechef »

Awesome. Thank you!

edpiep

#16: Post by edpiep »

MaKoMo wrote:If you are on Mac OS X 10.14, Artisan v1.6.1 will not be able to talk to the Phidgets driver. That version of Artisan is signed in a way that makes the security infrastructure of that system version to disallow this communication.

I released yesterday v1.6.2 that fixes this.
I knew this bug would get fixed, thanks a ton Marko. I have been happy with 1.5 but I'll try out 1.6.2 soon.

Chert

#17: Post by Chert »

I installed based on the report of AlexGS. I've not roasted with 1.6.2 yet, but my tracing done just prior and viewed under 1.6.2 looks tidier.

That's enough to throw the artisan team a donation in thanks for continued work on this great thing called artisan.

But I don't see a change that would improve the noise of the delta BT, actually. Still a worthy donation
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
AlexGS

#18: Post by AlexGS »

Chert wrote: But I don't see a change that would improve the noise of the delta BT, actually. Still a worthy donation
In my tests before I saw lot's of noise introduced because of data jamming in Artisan. It was either losing readouts or missing the timing. It resulted in ROR spikes that didn't actually exist. In 1.6.2 this got smoothed out. Plus, for Phidgets, now you can select async at 32ms poll rate. I use it in combination with 0.1C change step and get unusually smooth results with no smoothing on ROR lines and maybe 2 for the lines, but with delta span at 1 sec!!!

Of course, more testing is required.

Wiz Kalita

#19: Post by Wiz Kalita »

I played around with this and found that the noise with the popcorn popper fan on was way, way higher than with the fan off. I've been zip tying all my cables together, including the TC leads, so there was a lot of electromagnetic induction. I was able to remove most of the noise by shielding the leads with aluminium foil. At the moment my ROR noise is so quantized I think it comes mostly from the TC4 protocol only using one decimal.

MaKoMo (original poster)

#20: Post by MaKoMo (original poster) replying to Wiz Kalita »

There is a define in the head of
aArtisanQ_PID.ino
that allows you to configure the number of decimals
#define DP 1  // decimal places for output on serial port
The default is 1 as shown above, but you could simply set this to 3 for example. I just asked Brad to increase this default.