Old Huky Owner - 200g (or less?) charges need to shine. - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert (original poster)

#11: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Hopefully tasting the Masterpieces of Daterra sample set will bear out my decision for expediency: allow 200 C charge temp, a BBP to bring charge temp down would extend my roast sessions beyond the time I have. My drops are about 207C and the entire roaster is around 200 with charging, compared to a higher MET with roasting higher charge masses back-to-back.

I roasted the two Laurina lots. Those beans are wee. And of the 6 lots I had time for last night, most did not give much of a sound of 1C popping. I'm hitting 4-3-2 intervals pretty well, and 10C BT rise after 1C. (The set comes with cards and each has a QR code to suggest an Akiwa roast profile, but that's no help to me. I wonder what adjustment they make for the small Laurina beans).
LMWDP #198

bean2friends

#12: Post by bean2friends »

Interesting. Small soft beans reminds me of some Maui beans I roasted many years ago. I think I got them from Green Coffee Buying Club. Anyhow, they were hard to roast as they gave no crack. Taste was ok. But, I was in no hurry to get them again.

Advertisement
Chert (original poster)

#13: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Here's the lot:

LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#14: Post by Chert (original poster) »

The process of roasting and now tasting through these has been great fun and interesting, even with my poorly discerning palate. For the two groups of 5-6 I've cupped with two local homeroaster friends, 2 coffees stand out as more interesting of each set. But I am glad I have enough to try in multiple setting to see if that holds .
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#15: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I think I will rename this thread and keep my sample roasting efforts posted here because I don't think a 500g drum roaster really works for controlled small sample roasting.

My effort today also shows the problem in moving a roaster and trying different ways to use it. I had moved it outside to a different burner / artisan connection/control box and back down to the usual spot and I managed to connect probes wrong. I think I also caused a problem with fan airflow in the move. Anyway the goal is to taste and tonino this roast and determine if the flavors expressed are like 200g or 360 gram batches, of this bean. Those charge sizes are good with the Huky. In the background is a 200 g sample, same bean.

LMWDP #198