Note to self: Label your coffee greens

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

I had two small vac-packs of greens where the labels had fallen off. (The labels were long gone due to a prior freezer's failure.)

So just to be done with them, I roasted those greens last night along with some decaf and some of last year's washed from Aida Batlle.

And cupped this morning.

D*mn, I wish I knew what this coffee is ... all I know is the weights of the bags implies that they were greens for my Hottop - which I last used four years ago.

Ugh.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Milligan »

Well on the bright side you couldn't buy more of that harvest anyway :D

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

permanent marker fares pretty well in the freezer, not that I have enough space to freeze greens...
LMWDP #483

mkane
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mkane »

How about labeling the roasted coffee also? We have quite a few jars in the deep freeze with no label. Brain fart.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

Marcelnl wrote:permanent marker fares pretty well in the freezer, not that I have enough space to freeze greens...
All my vacuum bags & canning jars in the freezer are "labeled" using a Sharpie Fine Point. Roasted a lb of Yemen greens recently that had been in the freezer since 2012 & the writing on the vacuum bag was still as clear as the day I put it in the freezer.
LMWDP 267

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote:permanent marker fares pretty well in the freezer, not that I have enough space to freeze greens...
Yup, that's what I do now. Write on the vac-packs with a Sharpie.

I went through a period where I wrote the info on slips of paper and put the paper in with the green. Then I inadvertently roasted some paper :oops:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by LBIespresso »

I write what the coffee is on painters tape (Blue tape) on the vacuum sealed bag and then put that in a box with a label. At most I will have 2 different coffees in a box. That way when I open the freezer I don't have to dig through a mess of bags. I read the box labels and then open the boxes I need.

The bad part of this is that it reduces my storage capacity.
The good part of this is that it reduces my storage capacity. :lol:
LMWDP #580