North Coffee TJ-067 / JYR-1DA Roaster Early Discovery Notes - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
minwoojunjin

#41: Post by minwoojunjin »

Hi, John
Tim here
Your roaster will be finish on 6th and 8th will enter custom warehouse and next day will apply for custom,15th ship will depart our port and shipping time is about 16days.. so it should be reach on 1nd August....

minwoojunjin

#42: Post by minwoojunjin »

Yes, BDL, you bought Amazon roaster 1kg electric without cyclone....
Mr coleman kao only agent our 1kg gas model, cause he is also agent Amazon 1kg electric.
Because Amazon 1kg is cheaper than us, cause they have no cyclone,just 2000w. light weight.

So now we designed new 500g electric coffee roaster for home market, coleman kao will be upload on ebay, you will be see this model on our website at http://www.northcoffee.net
I can show picture to you now....

boar_d_laze

#43: Post by boar_d_laze »

minwoojunjin wrote:Yes, BDL, you bought Amazon roaster 1kg electric without cyclone....
Mr Coleman Kao only agent our 1kg gas model, cause he is also agent Amazon 1kg electric.
Because Amazon 1kg is cheaper than us, cause they have no cyclone, just 2000w, light weight...
Minwoojunjin,

Thanks for thinking of me.

A cyclone is a very nice thing for most people. As it happens I roast outdoors, can let the chaff fly, and don't need a cyclone. The Amazon, at 2000W (1500W heating element), has barely adequate power for the 500g - 600g doses I'm roasting. But even though the Amazon is barely adequate, it is adequate, and I'm getting very good roasts.

Your 500g roaster looks very nice, but if I understand your website correctly it only has an 800W heating element. That's quite a bit too slow for me. Don't give up hope, though; I'm seriously considering a TJ-067 Electric or TJ-067 Gas as something both faster and less tricky to control than the Amazon. Something for me to think about.

It's not often we get a chance to talk with a manufacturer on a public forum like this. Please allow me to make a suggestion.

Many -- if not most -- western coffee roasters, whether home roasters, or professionals using a small roaster for sampling, want to know the temperature of the bean mass during the roast in real time.

Your 1kg roasters would be a great deal more appealing if you offered a well-located port for a bean mass thermocouple; and also offered some way for the roaster to connect the environmental temperature thermocouple to an external datalogger via thermocouple extension cable -- by piggybacking, for example. It would be better still (although more expensive) if you installed a bean mass thermocouple with a temperature read out on the control panel, and a USB connection so both thermocouples could connect to a computer for plotting and analysis. Something for you to think about.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

minwoojunjin

#44: Post by minwoojunjin »

Thanks for your reply,BDL.
Your last suggestion is very good. Before we considered this point, but the cost will be hike more,even one times for 1kg roaster, so that we gave up this idea which temp read out and response by computer....

our electric watt is 800w and can bake 500g is ok. If you bake light roast, just 9 minutes will be finish.
Generally speaking, 350g,400g you can bake for some home coffee lover.

By the way, you bought Amazon roaster from colemank kao,right?
I found some home coffee lover is very professional for roaster like yours.
Hope you will enjoy your roast business...

May i know Amazon roaster have temperature controller? It adjust and set temp, or jusr display temp?
Thanks.
Tim

boar_d_laze

#45: Post by boar_d_laze »

minwoojunjin wrote:Thanks for your reply,BDL.
Your last suggestion is very good. Before we considered this point, but the cost will be hike more,even one times for 1kg roaster, so that we gave up this idea which temp read out and response by computer....
Mr. Tim,

At very low cost you could provide (1) a port, drilled and tapped for an M8 or M10 "offset swage" fitting, located for bean mass temperature; (2) a hole in the side of the control housing for a thermocouple probe, filled with a removable rubber plug; and (3) a different connection block for the environmental probe which would allow the user to easily "piggy-back" a thermocouple extension.

I can't imagine that any of these changes, other than the swaged fitting itself would cost very much. As to the fitting, I purchased one, M8, designed to work in a Quest M3, semi-custom made, for $40 US. It shouldn't cost you much to make your own.

Coleman could offer an optional "kit," priced at around $100 USD, with the offset swage, bean mass thermocouple, and thermocouple extension with standard miniplug datalogger connectors. The user would then supply his own datalogger which would allow computer connection.

I'm not telling you how to make coffee roasters, but trust me, those changes would make your smaller machines considerably more desirable to western roasters.
Our electric watt is 800w and can bake 500g is ok. If you bake light roast, just 9 minutes will be finish. Generally speaking, 350g,400g you can bake for some home coffee lover.

Very nice for some people, but not for me.
By the way, you bought Amazon roaster from colemank kao, right?

Yes, I did. Coleman is a very nice man. Smart, energetic, friendly, ambitious, and willing to make the extra effort to please the customer. You're lucky to have him. If Coleman had known a little bit more about what I wanted, he probably would have recommended one of your TJ-067s.
I found some home coffee lover is very professional for roaster like yours. Hope you will enjoy your roast business...
I'm not roasting professionally; just having a great time. We drink a lot of coffee, and give a lot away too.
May i know Amazon roaster have temperature controller? It adjust and set temp, or jusr display temp?
In operation, the Amazon's heater is fully "on," and cannot be further controlled. Furthermore, the Amazon's fan is also fully "on." Temperature control is accomplished by sliding two dampers, one adjusting air intake (via the cooling tray), and the other exhaust. The user can set an upper limit for environmental temperature at the control board, which shuts off the element when the temperature is reached. However, that's more of a safety feature than anything else.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

drgary
Team HB

#46: Post by drgary »

tamarian wrote:Just in case you're interested, a few of us at homeroasters.org are working on automated (PID) gas solution with the usage of modular valves.
Do you have a link for that?

BDL, slickrock and others: thank you, thank you, thank you for pioneering this new generation of roasters!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

minwoojunjin

#47: Post by minwoojunjin »

I need to make up one thing, all our roaster have thermocouple.
I meant price is one time for roaster, it is PLC control.. This issue, not thermocouple...

minwoojunjin

#48: Post by minwoojunjin »

Hi, BDL
All our roaster have thermocouple.
I read your messege, that is ok.
I never said that Amazon 1kg electric quality is bad, i just said that all of us roaster have our own features.

Now let us tell everyone our roaster and Amazon roaster difference as below:
1. Our roaster is 90kg and Amazon is 50kg.
2. Our watt is 3500W and Amazon is 2000w.
3. We have cyclone,flex pipe and stainless steel pipe and Amazon not.
4. Our roaster is made of High temperature resistant stainless steel and Amazon is made of 304 stainless steel.

Different customer will choose suitable roaster such as yours. Amazon roaster is enough for you.
That is ok.
In fact, Amazon roaster and our roaster are on behalf of China roaster. All of us let overseas knew Chinese coffee roaster quality and function are better, not bad impression...
So whatever customers choose us or Amazon, all is ok. As long as customers used better and enjoy their baking, this is important...

If some customers want to know our roaster more or have some questions, please email me at Tim@northcoffee.net
If you need gas model 1kg, you can buy from our LA agent Mr coleman kao directly, if you need electric model,please buy from us directly....
Thanks all...
Tim

minwoojunjin

#49: Post by minwoojunjin »

In operation, the Amazon's heater is fully "on," and cannot be further controlled. Furthermore, the Amazon's fan is also fully "on." Temperature control is accomplished by sliding two dampers, one adjusting air intake (via the cooling tray), and the other exhaust. The user can set an upper limit for environmental temperature at the control board, which shuts off the element when the temperature is reached. However, that's more of a safety feature than anything else.

Hi, BDL. in other means, Amazon roaster have no temperature controller,right?

The user can set an upper limit for environmental temperature at the control board,
Could you show Amazon panel on here. I want to see...

Below is our 1kg electric panel picture..

smite

#50: Post by smite »

Tim,

Thanks for the information. I am just sent a note to Coleman requesting some clarification and to confirm.