North Coffee TJ-067 / JYR-1DA Roaster Early Discovery Notes - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
boar_d_laze

#31: Post by boar_d_laze »

Coleman is a nice guy, and I'm all in favor of doing business with him. But he knows zip about roasting, as he'll cheerfully admit if asked.

If you're relying on Coleman for advice on what's going to work best for you, his desire to be helpful leads him to express opinions for which there's no real basis in experience or fact. The best he can do is: (a) Channel what his other customers have told him; and (b) If you request it, he may be able to put you in touch with one or two of them -- so you can make your own decisions about their conclusions as opposed to relying on Coleman's.

If all you know about the TJ-067 Gas is what you've heard from Coleman, you're flying blind -- or damn near. That's not too scary though. We have it on reasonably good assurance the TJ-067 Electric is a good roaster, with sound mechanicals and all that. No doubt the TJ-067 Gas, which shares everything but the heat source and its associated hardware, is as well.

Please keep us posted.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

smite

#32: Post by smite »

slickrock wrote:I admire your decisiveness. I, however, am in Hamlet mode, torn between the electrical and gas models, as I see advantages to both. I know good and well the advantages of gas ( a la my Huky), but I do have a utility room with 220v ready to go and am seriously contemplating fully automated roasting in future (which leans me to the electrical version).

Please do PM me with the electrical diagrams and do share your experiences when you get it. I recall that Dillon/saoye is getting the electrical model so I'd like to see a run off between the gas and electrical editions.

Also, you might want to consider getting the stainless pipe attachment between the roaster and cyclone... a both functional and aesthetically superior setup IMHO.
Thank you for the kind words. I only hope my decisiveness pays off. Time will tell once the roaster arrives in 4-6 weeks. Tim the builder, said he currently provides both the stainless pipe and the flex pipe with the new roasters.

Added wiring diagrams since I could not find the ability to send pictures through PM.

Moderator note: The English text is an exact translation of the Chinese.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
hankua
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by hankua »

Congradulations!
Are you getting the roaster shipped from China or LA?

smite

#34: Post by smite »

tamarian wrote:Just in case you're interested, a few of us at homeroasters.org are working on automated (PID) gas solution with the usage of modular valves.
This sounds like a great option. I will check this out thank you for the post!

smite

#35: Post by smite »

boar_d_laze wrote:Coleman is a nice guy, and I'm all in favor of doing business with him. But he knows zip about roasting, as he'll cheerfully admit if asked.

If you're relying on Coleman for advice on what's going to work best for you, his desire to be helpful leads him to express opinions for which there's no real basis in experience or fact. The best he can do is: (a) Channel what his other customers have told him; and (b) If you request it, he may be able to put you in touch with one or two of them -- so you can make your own decisions about their conclusions as opposed to relying on Coleman's.

If all you know about the TJ-067 Gas is what you've heard from Coleman, you're flying blind -- or damn near. That's not too scary though. We have it on reasonably good assurance the TJ-067 Electric is a good roaster, with sound mechanicals and all that. No doubt the TJ-067 Gas, which shares everything but the heat source and its associated hardware, is as well.

Please keep us posted.

BDL
Thanks for the information. Good advice, but I have to say Coleman was very upfront about his lack of experience roasting. My decision to go with the gas version was based on many discussions with Tim and after fully reading through all of the history with the electrical version, which ultimately still amounts to a big leap of faith. I do have experience working with full size gas roasters in the past and have the perfect place to ensure good ventilation.

I will keep everyone posted as things progress.

smite

#36: Post by smite »

hankua wrote:Congradulations!
Are you getting the roaster shipped from China or LA?
Thanks. It will come from China.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by hankua »

Mine came from Taiwan (800n/mini500); landed in NJ , then to a bonded warehouse in Jax. After the customs inspection, I picked it up myself. At first the office refused to load my pickup, but then the fork lift driver out back put it on my truck. :roll:

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
saoye

#38: Post by saoye »

I have been tracking the voyage of my purchase from China - Singapore - Perth and now enroute to Adelaide. 2nd July is looking like the ETA. I have installed my 20A circuit in preparation. When I have the roaster safely in my home and have done a couple of roasts I will post my overall experience.

smite

#39: Post by smite »

saoye,

That sounds good. I look forward to your posts. Living vicariously through both your experiences with the roaster and Rich's in the other thread will help while I anxiously await mine. This will be a tough 4-6 weeks.

smite

#40: Post by smite »

A bit of an update. It seems the roaster is not going to ship next week. Coleman has provided me with information that the roaster has been ordered today but shipping etc. is still to be determined. Still when I spoke with him he said we are shooting for 4-6 weeks arrival.

I will post when I have more information.