New to me Bullet R1 V2: What's wrong with my profiles? - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#31: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Jev, already fixed. Go back to the issue and you will find a download link to an updated version of Artisan. Should work now.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

jevenator (original poster)

#32: Post by jevenator (original poster) »

So I tried three roasts with a constant fan speed.

For the Brazil Bob-o-link, by color and taste this is the darkest I've ever really done. It has a roastiness imparted to it and as a result is drying in the mouth and is lacking the smoothness, carmel like tasting I had in the first roast. I'm going to try 2 things. 1) Try to mimic my first ever profile 2) I'm currently almost done with the "Introduction to Roasting on the Aillio Bullet" by Rob Hoos and at the end he will talk about profiling so I will take some pointers and try to apply them.

Here is an attempt of a lighter roast for a washed Ethiopia Guji Anasora. In cupping it, pulling a shot, and a pourover, it tastes pretty good. I was more disappointed in the cupping but it was the next day and with some rest it did benefit. The shot & pourover did has this strange flavor that is pretty similar to the other two roasts I did and I'm wondering if the constant fan speed is causing something that is negative. I remember reading someone had the same experience with a constant fan speed of it being to roasty for their liking.

Here's the curve for that one.

Lastly, this is a third roast I did, don't really have too much comments. Brazil Daterra - Full Bloom. Notes from Theta-ridge is "Exotic flavors of stone fruits, blueberry and plum make for a succulent juicy mouthfeel reminiscent of a fine wine. Full bodied with a clean caramel-fruity finish that smoothly rolls over the palate."

Mine are something along the lines of one dimensional, pretty flat, etc. Maybe some rest will open it up more. Pulled one shot, definetly has some body behind it and some acidity but I'm not getting clear fruits...

GC7

#33: Post by GC7 »

I thought I would continue this discussion of roasting with a Bullet rather than starting a new thread with just my questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've been roasting with my Aillio Bullet for almost a month now. Its capabilities are amazing compared with my old HotTop and with it a learning curve.

The roaster is loud. I have little trouble detecting the first snaps of first crack but I do have trouble as first crack continues and especially marking when it ends. How do you mark 1C end? Are there temperature milestones to help marking 1C end? What IBTS temperatures do users consider as City, City Plus, Full City etc.? Simply put, what range is a light, medium and dark roast? I have my ideas on this but I'd like to hear from more experienced roasters.

I will have more questions about preheat temperatures on the Bullet and strategies for hitting a goal temperature on a declining ROR later.

I have been charging with 350 gm of beans.

Thanks everyone.

jevenator (original poster)

#34: Post by jevenator (original poster) »

GC7 wrote:I thought I would continue this discussion of roasting with a Bullet rather than starting a new thread with just my questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've been roasting with my Aillio Bullet for almost a month now. Its capabilities are amazing compared with my old HotTop and with it a learning curve.

The roaster is loud. I have little trouble detecting the first snaps of first crack but I do have trouble as first crack continues and especially marking when it ends. How do you mark 1C end? Are there temperature milestones to help marking 1C end? What IBTS temperatures do users consider as City, City Plus, Full City etc.? Simply put, what range is a light, medium and dark roast? I have my ideas on this but I'd like to hear from more experienced roasters.

I will have more questions about preheat temperatures on the Bullet and strategies for hitting a goal temperature on a declining ROR later.

I have been charging with 350 gm of beans.

Thanks everyone.
When I got the Bullet I had a lot of trouble hearing FC as well. Sometimes I have to put my ear right right next to the face of the drum to hear it. My last two roasts I've been using the tryer quite a bit to monitor the roast as sometimes the ROR does some wacky stuff at such as low charge weight. 800g is apparently the sweet spot to play around with fast and slow roasts depending on your charge temp although I haven't tried it myself yet it's just what I picked up from the Rob Hoos class.

I'm also wondering about 1C End marking and the other questions you asked. I just go by visually and % development for my roast level. I also feel like I mark my yellowing a bit too early sometimes as well.

In regards to light roast This DP Ethiopian has cupped very good plenty of juicy acidity with emphasis on light tropical fruits with some floral notes behind it as well. Faster roasts are good for emphasizing florals and fruit. Longer roasts are good for more savoriness. Too long and you get a weird beefy flavor. I'm waiting to pull shots on it because I want to dial it in on the Ultra as it comes tomorrow.

I'm getting the hang of a bob-o-link as well. My last roast was a lot more nutty which is what I'm aiming for. I still need to charge less hot and get a dry time of about 4:30-5:00 and hit FC later at like 10 minutes. My last roast was 3:50 DE and 7:15FC (much faster than I wanted) but with a 2:38/26% development time.

GC7

#35: Post by GC7 »

Thanks Jev

That was very helpful. With a 350 gm charge the Bullet seems like driving a Ferrari compared to a Prius so you need to be careful with changes especially to air flow from my experience.

I had luck with some quicker light roasts that kept fruity and floral characteristics as you mentioned. This one tasted really good (https://roast.world/r/V5dUekdwPx6bNIdFps2fc). I had trouble nailing a medium roast. I had been charging much higher than you and continue to do so to date. I will try your profile. However, I did independently discover a profile very similar to yours but using higher preheat. I too used P7 for the first 2 minutes and then gradually lowered heat. I find F2 to begin the roast works well and almost never getting up to F5. Here is what I called a medium roast. The end temperature was 409* IBTS. I never heard when 1C ended. I will cup it tomorrow as its a travel roast to freeze for the kids who we can hopefully visit in a couple of weeks.

https://roast.world/r/6X5cfwXao9UCWgWEW~6ZR

My observations have been that F2, F3 through the bulk of the roast and the decline in ROR works and then up it to F4. To me these roasts taste better than F4 constant or higher air flow roasts. I have had nothing but crashes and trouble when I go able F5. (At 350 gm charge- higher charge loads it may be standard practice).

Thanks again!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by yakster »

Just a few notes, I've switched to roasting only 725 gram batches to help me focus on charge temp and profiles, but this means I only need to roast a couple of batches every two weeks which means less practice. The increase in charge temp really has helped my roasts bring out more flavor and also has made first crack louder and easier to hear. I don't rely so much on sticking a metal kazoo into the trier hole to hear the cracks now, but I don't have any feel for temps when first crack would end. My first crack seems to start at 211 C on the ITBS which seems to be higher than most other people but it's consistent for my roaster.

Another change I made that I think really helped me control my roast was that I put in an air gap of several inches between the exhaust vent tube I have over my roaster that leads to a range hood fan because even with just setting the tube over the roaster without the sealed connector seemed to be drawing air out of the roaster and making my fan setting changes have less effect. This shouldn't be an issue with a passive exhaust system and my vent system still sucks all the smoke from the roaster out of my garage.

Amazon Prime day was disappointing this year so no new laptop yet so I'm still roasting without, but really enjoying the roasts.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272