New Quest M6 -- Problem?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cjhacker23

#1: Post by cjhacker23 »

Hello Fellow Quest Roasters,

I just received my Quest M6 from Coffee Shrub and it's making a noise that doesn't sound normal to me. Of course, I have never used this roaster before, or any Quest roasters, so I don't know what normal sounds like, but I thought I should ask here.

1) When the roaster is plugged in (and the timer dial turned on) there is a distinctive electrical crackling sound coming from the roaster, apart from the sound of the timer, or the drum turning. Is this normal?

2) The amp meter never reaches the max of 15. When the power dial is turned, the needle goes from 0 to about 12 on the meter, but no higher. Is this normal?

I recorded a video of the sound and uploaded it to YouTube. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCver2K-nIE

I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts on whether this sound/behavior is normal or if I should contact CS or Quest about it.

Thanks!
Chris

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Normal. I noticed the same thing when I moved from a Quest M3 to an M6. On mine, at least, I attribute it to the gearbox, not an electrical fault. If I had to guess, I'd say that they switched from a wet gearbox to a dry one. One of the complaints that Quest owners often had was finding some gooey stuff in the electrical compartment. It turned out to be nearly dried gear lube that had leaked from the transmission. On mine it was clear, but another user reported dark. If you do ask Quest or CG, and get an answer, please post it here or PM me and I'll add a note in the Quest Handbook when I get around to publishing an updated version. As for the meter, mine does not go to full scale either. The heaters draw a nominal 1450-Watts, which is about 12 to 13 amps, depending on your mains voltage.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
cjhacker23 (original poster)

#3: Post by cjhacker23 (original poster) »

That's a relief! And I hadn't realized you are the one responsible for the Quest Handbook--I am so grateful to you for putting it together. I have been using it as my guide as I learn my way around the machine. It is a great resource.

I have not received a response yet from CS or Quest, but I will post their responses if and when they do.

Regarding the voltage, I have noticed that the power fluctuates througout my house. Indoors, max registers at right about 1400 on my Watt-o-meter, whereas in the garage, where I intend to use it, max power registers at 1220.

What are your thoughts about a variac? Or something like that, which might juice the power a little? (Full disclosure--I have never used a variac and don't know enough about electricity to understand why this might be a good or bad idea!)

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Peppersass »

I think Maurice is right about the sound. Nothing to worry about. It's a grinding noise, not electrical noise. My Quest M3 makes a similar sound at a slightly lower volume, so maybe some of the grease has leaked out of my transmission, and yours doesn't use grease.

I'd look into why the voltage in your garage is low. You may have faulty wires, outlets, breakers or connectors that are dissipating the extra 180W. That could be a fire hazard.

Personally, I wouldn't run the roaster on an ungrounded outlet. That's a potential shock hazard. All outlets in your house should be grounded.

cjhacker23 (original poster)

#5: Post by cjhacker23 (original poster) »

Yes, the low voltage at that ungrounded outlet is a bit concerning, and you're totally right about ungrounded outlets in general. The good news is that after shifting things around in the garage (this new roaster was just the excuse I have been looking for to do some much needed cleaning up) I found a perfect corner with a workbench near a window and a grounded outlet, which produces a normal amount of current.