NEW larger Hottop coming!

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
galumay

#1: Post by galumay »

I did a search and could not find any reference to this in the HB forums, it popped up on an Australian commercial coffee site and this is the gist of it quoted below,
some fantastic news! Hottop plan to release a bigger and better version of their KN-8828 series roaster!

Bigger because it's expected to have a capacity of 600-800g. Better because there's talk of a number of improvements to both the (already excellent) control system and overall design. I understand the control system is based on the KN-8828B but there's some talk of a two-way USB interface which, if I understand correctly, means there's the possibility the roaster will not only export control data to a PC but will be able to be controlled by the PC too, out of the box. I'm pretty sure it's going to run a stock bean mass probe too but don't quote me on that. There are also improvements to the filtration system.

The unit is still in prototype so specs and final design are not bedded down yet, but here's a happy snap of the prototype. It obviously owes a lot to its predecessor and while I'm not sure how close this will be to the real thing it's nice to see something concrete at last on this!

It's slated for Q2 2012 at this stage. Not sure on pricing but given it's significantly bigger and heavier all round than the 300g unit currently in production that lists for $1500, it's obviously going to be somewhat more. So I see this more as a parallel product, rather than a replacement for the current KN-8828 v2 series. But for those who want the extra capacity without spending $5k+ on a 1kg gas roaster this could just fit the bill.

I don't know a whole lot more about it but feel free to ask if there's anything specific you'd like to know and I'll see what I can find out.

Greg (Pullman Espresso Accessories)
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

Advertisement
Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

An interesting development in the home roasting market, for sure.

galumay wrote:Not sure on pricing but given it's significantly bigger and heavier all round than the 300g unit currently in production that lists for $1500
I thought this might be typo or something, but no, the KN-8828B-2 actually costs US$1485 in Australia. That's absolutely nuts.
Chris

galumay (original poster)

#3: Post by galumay (original poster) »

Bob_McBob wrote:I thought this might be typo or something, but no, the KN-8828B-2 actually costs US$1485 in Australia. That's absolutely nuts.
Incredibly thats common in Australia, despite our dollar being on parity or better in recent memory, we get gouged to the point of familiarity! Even allowing for our 10% goods and services tax and the cost of electrical compliance, pricing on imported goods is outrageous.

Luckily retailers are having an increasingly harder time of it, the spread of internet buying has made consumers aware that most things can be purchased direct from the source, shipping paid on the individual item at consumer rates, GST paid and still be up to half the cost of the same item in Australia!

Anyway back on topic, it does look like a great bit of kit and will fill an important gap in the home roasting market.
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

tekomino

#4: Post by tekomino »

Love it. It looks like it came straight out of Battlestar Galactica! :D

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

The 1lb Hottop has been "coming" for several years at this point. Michael from HottopUSA visited the factory last month & told me that while they have a prototype up and running there is no "ready for sale" date as of yet. The factory makes everything in house & they need to tool up for 250 parts to build that roaster once the design is finalized. At present there is ONE employee working on the 1lb roaster project as the factory's main business is building bread machines & food dehydrators.

What is known is that it will have 2 heating elements & you will have the ability to run only one or both at the same time. It will have a USB connector, BT/ET probes & the control panel will be located in front of the cooling tray. One reason the project has taken so long is that it was originally designed as a 2-3lb roaster but they shelved that idea & went back to the drawing board to build a smaller 1lb+ unit. Michael took several photos of my large stirring fin mod a couple weeks ago & sent them over to the factory so hopefully the 1lb'r will have better bean agitation then the current models.
LMWDP 267

farmroast

#6: Post by farmroast »

JohnB. wrote: Michael took several photos of my large stirring fin mod a couple weeks ago & sent them over to the factory so hopefully the 1lb'r will have better bean agitation then the current models.
Nice move John!
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

doubleOsoul

#7: Post by doubleOsoul »

galumay wrote:Incredibly thats common in Australia, despite our dollar being on parity or better in recent memory, we get gouged to the point of familiarity! Even allowing for our 10% goods and services tax and the cost of electrical compliance, pricing on imported goods is outrageous.

Luckily retailers are having an increasingly harder time of it, the spread of internet buying has made consumers aware that most things can be purchased direct from the source, shipping paid on the individual item at consumer rates, GST paid and still be up to half the cost of the same item in Australia!

Anyway back on topic, it does look like a great bit of kit and will fill an important gap in the home roasting market.
Same thing in Canada. We get raked over the christmas coals on imports.
OO
Cool yule, Y'all!

Advertisement
cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

To get the same pricing as the U.S., increase population to 320 million, improve distribution efficiency, increase workforce efficiency, increase port infrastructure to equal LA, SF, NY, Houston...

... and don't complain about traffic, smog, lack of holidays :roll:

There is no free lunch.

jsolanzo

#9: Post by jsolanzo »

Wow! I'm looking forward to this roaster. A definitely must buy for me. :D :D
LMWDP #355

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

galumay wrote:I did a search and could not find any reference to this in the HB forums, it popped up on an Australian commercial coffee site and this is the gist of it quoted below,
I've mentioned the 1lb'r a few times on here & CG. When I posted this: Smoke gets in your eyes back in Aug. 2010 the roaster was due out by Q1/2011. :roll: It is coming but I'd be very surprised to see it in Q2/2012 as Michael tells me that they still have many challenges to overcome.
LMWDP 267