New Kaldi Fortis Setup - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Capuchin Monk

#11: Post by Capuchin Monk »

That is the plastic one. I've been using it for light duty roasting setup.

dtrevino15 (original poster)

#12: Post by dtrevino15 (original poster) »

Nope, been using weekly, works perfect. Actually, does get pretty hot, and the input has warped a tinny bit, but this thing has been going for a few months without any issues. I would think it depends on how many roasts you do in a row,and do you let the system cool between roasts, that's what I do.

Love my Kaldi, check out my bean cooler, works amazing.
DIY Coffee Bean Cooler

#13: Post by dtrevino15 (original poster) »

No melting yet, has been working solid for now. I will upgrade to a cast version soon, but so far, working perfectly.

Capuchin Monk

#14: Post by Capuchin Monk »

dtrevino15 wrote:cast version
The small aluminum one?

Capuchin Monk

#15: Post by Capuchin Monk »

dtrevino15 wrote:the input has warped a tinny bit,
The inlet of mine warped more so I cut some off and inserted aluminum pipe as a surface to clamp the exhaust duct onto.

If the whole thing doesn't hold up, I already have a plan to make a cyclone chaff collector out of stainless steel kitchen gadgets. :idea:

#16: Post by dtrevino15 (original poster) »

Good idea, let me know what you build, I may want to copy you

Capuchin Monk

#17: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Given that your exhaust fan motor is AC and needs to be above certain voltage and RPM, maybe a throttle valve like this one between outlet of roaster and inlet of chaff collector would allow fine tuning?

bdumont01

#18: Post by bdumont01 »

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Kaldi Fortis, but trying to figure out the best way to vent it. Love your setup and was wondering how it's working for you.

Any thoughts?

Capuchin Monk

#19: Post by Capuchin Monk »

I'm not him but I do use the same cyclone collector for chaff and exhaust. It's still holding up. Following pictures are how I have mine set up. Blower fan came with DC motor (eBay) which I use 24VDC wall wart with PWM controller from Amazon which allows me to adjust fan speed from 60 rpm to 3000 rpm. Because of this adjustable range, I don't need a damper to control airspeed. The chaff collector is aluminum box from Amazon which I cut out the side for hinged door made out of 1/8" thick plastic panel.

Hope this helps.

Mbb

#20: Post by Mbb »