New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
tallamericano

#31: Post by tallamericano »

pj.walczak wrote:If I am not wrong you can install the app and create account without an Ikawa machine.
So as long as you do this now, you probably won't have to pay the subscription fee.
I was also thinking this. Like how would they be able to do this. Technically doesn't work. You can't shut off features in app after a certain date?

ira
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by ira »

If the app has cloud connections which is seems like it does, it can look up permissions in the cloud every time you start it, otherwise, how does the subscription work?

Ira

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
RyanP

#33: Post by RyanP »

I believe I am exactly the kind of enthusiast this was designed for and I find it a pretty tempting purchase. I have no experience with home roasting and, at least at this time, I am not really interested in deep diving into the manual process and learning the ins and outs of the hobby. Has the former pro model proven to be reliable? If I drink primarily light roast fruit forward African coffees will this be able to produce the kind of results I'm looking for and used to from some of the roasters I frequent, such as passenger, sump, brandywine, and onyx? I get that last question is probably not so straightforward an answer.

_Ryan_

#34: Post by _Ryan_ »

TigerStripes wrote:IMO, the smart solution here would be to somehow make the pro a better product or more attractive buy for professional roasters - not to cripple the software controlling roast on their home roaster.
Spot on.
ira wrote:If the app has cloud connections which is seems like it does, it can look up permissions in the cloud every time you start it, otherwise, how does the subscription work?

Ira
That's how apps managed through the app store work- they check for subscription status.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by baldheadracing »

Now their website has removed mention of the free advanced functionality for new customers who were to have purchased this month. I've left a message asking for clarification.

*The new Home App is currently in beta, visuals may vary at release. The new App will only be available on iOS at release - the Android app will be updated at a later date. The current Android app will still be available for use.

The Home App is the primary way to control the Roaster and is free for everyone to use. This includes the updated roast editor - two new controls: Roast Degree and Development Time with up to 30 custom roast combinations. There is also a premium feature within the App that unlocks direct roast curve editing - we now call the advanced editor. It will be automatically unlocked and free for all existing 50g Home Roaster users as it has been the primary way to customise recipes before this new update. The new primary way to edit roast recipes has changed with Home Roaster v2, from direct curve editing to the two new controls. New Home Roaster v2 customers who want to use the advanced editor will have to pay a monthly fee in-app (£29.99/m). We believe this new and improved roast editor will give home customers the best chance of achieving their desired roast preference. This in-app paid feature has nothing to do with our Green Coffee Subscription on our coffee shop.

Auctor
Supporter ❤

#36: Post by Auctor »

Thanks. I guess on the bright side there is now zero reason to rush and pre-order. :P

Iowa_Boy

#37: Post by Iowa_Boy » replying to Auctor »

Yep. Seems like it would have been smart to let the early adopters use all the functionality.
As it stands now, will be interesting to see if the updated basic roast editor allows enough control to satisfy home users.

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
BlueWater

#38: Post by BlueWater »

I was seriously considering ordering before the deadline to receive the advanced app functionality expired. Forcing me to a subscription model changes my purchase interest to a hard no. I have a Cormorant and no interest in a crippled fluid bed machine.

tallamericano

#39: Post by tallamericano »

baldheadracing wrote:Now their website has removed the free advanced functionality for new customers who were to have purchased this month. I've left a message asking for clarification.
The plot thickens. I only asked them today and they said was free until Oct 31st . Making it up as they go now

Auctor
Supporter ❤

#40: Post by Auctor » replying to tallamericano »

Same same. I had a lengthy discussion with their customer support today. Unfortunately, in this case I think the support team only knows what they are told and are given talking points. I agree - they do seem to be making this up as they go along. Pricing is not always easy to get right, but once presented, it should be clear and transparent.