New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity - Page 20

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
GDM528

#191: Post by GDM528 »

heytchap wrote:Would you mind generating and sharing all of the original "legacy" recipes?
Below is what I got on the Android app. Note that the recipes are for the previous 50g machine, for coffees they no longer offer - aka obsolete. My only interest in these recipes is to help me learn how to map the collection of raw beans I have on-hand to Ikawa's latest curated recipes for the new 100g machine. My observation so far, is they have three strategies: fast ramp, slow ramp, and quick spike.

Respect to the early Ikawa owners. The old app appears to give the user two knobs (temperature, fan) and wish them luck. Their new system seems far superior for the 'demi-prosumer' types like me. I hope at some point they add "First crack detected' button and an "Target color" graphic - that would enable me to participate a bit in tuning the recipe for the particular batch of beans I have, rather than the "push button and hope for the best" system they have now.

Sharing recipes from the Android version of the app appears to create (crudely) editable recipes when shared with the new iOS app. And for the sake of all the Android users, please don't ask them to become data translators ;) Low cost Android devices are readily available (phones, tablets, laptops) - I'm using a 5yr-old Android phone I got for free.

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... BSgBiATE=

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... KAGIBMQ==

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... KAGIBMQ==

yakster
Supporter ♡

#192: Post by yakster »

You should even be able to run the Android emulator Bluestacks on your PC or Mac for this.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

heytchap

#193: Post by heytchap replying to yakster »

This is actually the course I took last night.

GDM528

#194: Post by GDM528 »

In case there are some readers of this thread that are still weighing the pros and cons of the new Ikawa Home, I offer up a few initial impressions:

Paint Stripper:
The exhaust port is rather small, so the air comes out fast and freak'n hot. My first impression when I lit up the machine and waved my hand over the exhaust port, was 'whoa, OMG'. I wouldn't recommend operating this beast in the playroom of a daycare center, as it produces no visual cues to the kind of burn injuries it can inflict. I was going to position the Ikawa under my range hood as others have suggested, but the clearance would only be a couple inches, giving my range hood the equivalent of a hot-air enema. My solution was to construct an air deflector over the Ikawa's exhaust port that directs the air horizontally into the capture zone under the range hood - mischief managed.

100 grams? LOL:
Others have observed this, and I can confirm that 100g will roast, but not as nicely as a lower dose. Fully loading the chamber led to several scorched beans and uneven roast levels. When I lowered the dose to 60g, the beans would levitate in the chamber with the uppermost beans squarely hitting the little mixing ramp in the chamber - beauty. Yeah, I have to run an extra batch, but it's enjoyable to watch the roasting ballet in action.

<in an Crocodile Dundee accent> You call that a dark roast?:
Full disclosure - I'm coming down off several pounds of commercially-roasted Hawaiian Kona, where stated roast levels seem to refer to how oily their (always-dark) beans get. That said, the darkest setting with the longest development time for the Huatusco beans produced what I would call a City roast at best. The upside is my sacred single-origin beans won't be incinerated with Ikawa's stock recipes, but if your anger-management therapy requires you to Vienna roast, then you may need to consider hacking your own custom recipes.

Hacker's Paradise?:
My previous machine was a Fresh Roast, which has a "here's a couple knobs, good luck" vibe that I found infuriating and incapable. The Ikawa is a (very hot) breath of fresh air, with it's precision-controlled temperature and airflow. Yeah, the roast telemetry has been stripped out, but I have a propensity for voiding warranties and the Ikawa looks like it might be a good platform for the hacking community to get busy on it - that's why I bought a Gaggia Classic Pro, and I'm hopeful the same could happen here. My out-of-box experience with the Ikawa is already good as-is, with the potential to get even better over time.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#195: Post by mgrayson »

Comparing an Ikawa Dark to some Klatch roasts it's, a solid Medium. Has ANYONE seen second crack with a recommended profile? Is this a way to get us to spring for the full editor? I'm not looking for charcoal briquets, but I'd like to have "comfort espresso" as an option. I also find Medium-Dark almost indistinguishable from Medium - certainly much closer than it is to Dark. And First Crack, while it sometimes happens when the App says it should, is usually 20-30 seconds after that.

I'm having fun, though. Non-Ikawa greens are starting to arrive...

Iowa_Boy

#196: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I am having good luck with 75 gram batch size and Ikawa greens. I need to do more testing with the larger batch sizes. Since the fan speed is adjustable with the advanced editor, I want to see if a slightly higher fan speed will allow 100 g batch size to work well. I suspect it might, but we shall see.

I wish there was a way to extend a roast based on when first crack starts. For example, extending development time by 30 seconds in real time would be a nice feature. Assume that is unlikely to happen, but just a wish.

Actually ordered more Ikawa greens over the weekend (their world pack is pretty reasonable overall). Eventually, I need to try non-Ikawa greens again which I have a ton of, but need to do more testing first.

GDM528

#197: Post by GDM528 »

mgrayson wrote:Comparing an Ikawa Dark to some Klatch roasts it's, a solid Medium. Has ANYONE seen second crack with a recommended profile? Is this a way to get us to spring for the full editor? I'm not looking for charcoal briquets, but I'd like to have "comfort espresso" as an option. I also find Medium-Dark almost indistinguishable from Medium - certainly much closer than it is to Dark. And First Crack, while it sometimes happens when the App says it should, is usually 20-30 seconds after that.

I'm having fun, though. Non-Ikawa greens are starting to arrive...
Second crack doesn't appear to be in their wheelhouse. Perhaps by limiting the roast level they limit the smoke produced, and the attendant customer olfactory angst. It would be lazy programming, but it also makes the Roast Stages table layout consistent.

There are alternatives to the full editor, described a couple posts ago, that might be sufficient for just extending the time or bumping the temperature a bit.

I like the term "comfort espresso" - I'd like to start using it (with permission).

GDM528

#198: Post by GDM528 »

Iowa_Boy wrote:I am having good luck with 75 gram batch size and Ikawa greens. I need to do more testing with the larger batch sizes. Since the fan speed is adjustable with the advanced editor, I want to see if a slightly higher fan speed will allow 100 g batch size to work well. I suspect it might, but we shall see.

I wish there was a way to extend a roast based on when first crack starts. For example, extending development time by 30 seconds in real time would be a nice feature. Assume that is unlikely to happen, but just a wish.

Actually ordered more Ikawa greens over the weekend (their world pack is pretty reasonable overall). Eventually, I need to try non-Ikawa greens again which I have a ton of, but need to do more testing first.
One other thing about 100g batches: it'll depend on the bean and the roast level, but for me the catch jar would fill over the top, causing the excess beans to spill out (and everywhere).

I'm thinking one strategy is to use the longest-duration roast program, e.g. "dark / high development time", then hit the button to start cooling once the roast reaches the desired color.

mathof

#199: Post by mathof »

mgrayson wrote:Comparing an Ikawa Dark to some Klatch roasts it's, a solid Medium. Has ANYONE seen second crack with a recommended profile? Is this a way to get us to spring for the full editor? I'm not looking for charcoal briquets, but I'd like to have "comfort espresso" as an option. I also find Medium-Dark almost indistinguishable from Medium - certainly much closer than it is to Dark.
Here is a recipe for "Full City 2nd crack" from my legacy collection. Maybe clicking on it, or pasting it into your browser, will open it in your IoS app

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... IAGgAiACgA

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#200: Post by mgrayson replying to mathof »

Thank you! That certainly looks like it will do it, and I can dump the beans anywhere near the end if it seems too much.