New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity - Page 18

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mathof

#171: Post by mathof »

MNate wrote: With a coffee roaster it seems to me that setting the drop temp/time is critical. If I could just set that without the Advanced Editor I think I'd be completely happy.
I know from my 50g Home Ikawa that you can drop the coffee anytime you wish by pressing the roast button. If you do, the machine immediately enters the cool down cycle. The input temp will be at whatever degree the profile in use is set for at that point in the roast. There's no reason to think the 100g machine will be any different in this respect.

MNate

#172: Post by MNate »

Auctor wrote:I was quoted $4300 for the 50g Pro version, and $5300 for the 100g, a month ago.
Nice to know. So $970 is a steal even with a subscription. I suppose they have fewer sensors but enough so that it can still run a profile? Some more speculation, I suppose...

mathof wrote:I know from my 50g Home Ikawa that you can drop the coffee anytime you wish by pressing the roast button. If you do, the machine immediately enters the cool down cycle. The input temp will be at whatever degree the profile in use is set for at that point in the roast. There's no reason to think the 100g machine will be any different in this respect.
Oo- that sounds nice too. Caveat resolved. Thanks!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#173: Post by baldheadracing »

MNate wrote:Nice to know. So $970 is a steal even with a subscription. I suppose they have fewer sensors but enough so that it can still run a profile? Some more speculation, I suppose...
The Home model's profile controls intake parameters and does not measure outputs. Thus, the profile is unlike the profiles usually discussed - no declining BT RoR, no dip in ET RoR before 1C, etc. It's like looking at a typical drum roaster graph, but only seeing gas and fan input controls.

Eventually there will be a library of Ikawa-created profiles like that which exists for the previous Home 50. If I had a green purchased elsewhere, then I would just grab one of the Ikawa-created profiles that is for a similar bean, and roast.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Auctor

#174: Post by Auctor »

Based on my limited reading, the Pro and Home are not really comparable or in the same league. I can imagine a day in the future where I might want Pro level features, but at that point, I might also want a larger batch size than 100g. For now, I'm happy to learn with the Advanced Editor for the next year to see if the Pro features are even needed for my roasting needs and skill level.

Its also really hard for a customer to know, prior to purchase, whether they'll need the Advanced Editor. And there's no "free preview", or return policy, or lifetime subscription. At the risk of beating a dead horse, I really can't figure why they rolled it out the way they did.

pcdawson

#175: Post by pcdawson »

A better business model might be to have a "pay as you go"option where you can purchase access to the editing features for a limited period like a month or two. Garmin does this for their InReach GPS plans. I just activate the plan for a few months in the summer when I know I'll be going out onto the backcountry.

If you decide not to pony up for the monthly subscription rate to access the editing features, then you are simply pushing a button and seeing coffee come out the other end. You might be better off putting the money you paid for the Ikawa roaster into some really cool coffee subscriptions.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#176: Post by dparrish »

Thanks for clarification on the software. Looks like the more advanced features are really designed more for pro use and for the pro roaster.
As an exclusively-espresso drinker (no filter coffee for me), can I expect to be able to use the home version and produce complex and sweet-tasting espresso I'm used to getting from my favorite roasters (current faves are Espresso Vivace Vita and Olympia Sweetheart/Big Truck? I'm concerned about the fact that my favorites are all blends, and I'm guessing each bean was roasted seperately before combining (though I don't really know). I've not yet delved into home roasting. Just intrigued by the idea of really fresh-roasted coffee and the ease of use.

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#177: Post by rhtrevino »

pcdawson wrote:A better business model might be to have a "pay as you go"option where you can purchase access to the editing features for a limited period like a month or two. Garmin does this for their InReach GPS plans. I just activate the plan for a few months in the summer when I know I'll be going out onto the backcountry.

If you decide not to pony up for the monthly subscription rate to access the editing features, then you are simply pushing a button and seeing coffee come out the other end. You might be better off putting the money you paid for the Ikawa roaster into some really cool coffee subscriptions.
Given that the subscription is an IAP (in-app purchase), I think you could do just this. Sign up for a month (would be the minimum) @$33.99 then decide if you want the editing features after that.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#178: Post by mgrayson »

What kind of times have people seen between ordering, shipping, and delivery? I put in an order a few days ago.

Edit: DHL says it's coming Monday!

sosha
Supporter ♡

#179: Post by sosha »

Going thru their library, I see they recommend a "medium ++" roast for a Panama geisha?
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

GDM528

#180: Post by GDM528 »

My Ikawa Home arrived in 11 days to the west coast USA, via DHL. This includes the shipment being "On Hold" for 3 days in Cincinnati for no stated reason. It started moving again after I contacted DHL customer service to investigate. I did not request "no signature" delivery, and despite that it was left at my door without any contact or door knock.