New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity - Page 43

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ira
Team HB

#421: Post by ira »

Sure, I need to roast today so as soon as I'm done, I'll update all the information I have.

mathof

#422: Post by mathof replying to ira »

Thank. you. I'd be interested in that too.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#423: Post by Milligan »

mgrayson wrote:Well, I was an impulse upgrader. After using the Home for a few months, I didn't think I could learn to understand roasting from it, and that I would experiment more with the Pro. I'm not sorry to have the Pro, but I am *not* making good use of it. I need a good week of someone tasting what I make and telling me what I'm doing wrong (or right). Having nothing adequately documented to compare to, experimentation is daunting. The same goes for "dialing in" espresso. Just because friends and family like the stuff does not mean I'm getting what I could out of it.

I have taken to cupping (again, "self taught") to try to get a sense - without letting the coffee rest for a week - of what I've roasted. A good case is the recent "Blueberry bomb" Ethiopian. Some people reported strong fruit. Others, including me, reported none. I got some decent aroma cupping it yesterday, but none today after a day's rest. What is going on? I have no clue.

Education is what I need, and the upgrade price from Home to Pro would have been much better spent on that.

Matt

BTW, Royal's inlet profiles have been some of the most successful for me - keep looking for them!
Don't stress too much about not knowing what you are doing. Everyone starts there especially as a home enthusiast. The best thing you can do is give it time, a lot of different coffees, have others taste, book a cupping class, visit specialty cafes, and simply immerse yourself. It is a lot to learn not only technically but also sensory which was the most etherial to me. Over time, just like practicing for muscle memory, you'll get better at describing tastes, aromas, and such. It is very rewarding! Have a wide open mind and be ready to absorb.

The good part about having the Pro 100 is the equipment is not holding you back. That is a good place to be when wanting to get serious about learning.

ira
Team HB

#424: Post by ira »

Here is the information about the profile I've been using. Based on the output temperature probe so will take some work to move to a Home.

MNate

#425: Post by MNate »

I have to say I'm surprised by where this thread has gone:
1. People giving up Bullets and Quests for the Ikawa Home - or perhaps buying one in addition to it.
-But I get it in that the Ikawa is super repeatable, hands off, and for sure one reason I'm getting better coffee is because I'm ordering one pound of a variety of beans, roasting them a bunch of ways and picking what I like, then going back and ordering a bunch of my favorite. I just did this with 8 coffees from Hacea - super great way to find what I like.

2. People actually figuring out how to create their own meaningful profiles such that I can probably do some of it without adding any thermocouples or anything.
- Super interesting. I've been fairly happy to just use a given profile that's similar to my bean and call it a day. I guess I have work to do!

3. People thinking about buying the Pro over the Home?
- What? That one I still can't get my head around since the price gap is so huge, but I think it goes back to point one... if this is more of an end-game home roaster than I thought it was then it makes sense to go all out on it. If it's just an easy way to get fresh roasted beans of the type and style you generally like - as I thought it was when I bought it - then the Pro is just silly. But hmm...

Well, I've never had better espresso at home than I am now but as always, who knows how much of that is the greens I've come across, my new grinder, or switching to a turbo profile (actually, the turbo shots seem to me to make the biggest difference in what I've been doing!)?

Thanks for the insight and I'll be looking more at making my own profiles!

Obligatory coffee photo to make the post more interesting:

GDM528

#426: Post by GDM528 »

ira wrote:Here is the information about the profile I've been using. Based on the output temperature probe so will take some work to move to a Home.
Thanks!
It's remarkable how you suppressed the ET wobble after the bean drop - respect, sir. Is that the modification you spoke of earlier?

Was that a full-size batch? When did it hit first-crack? From the graph it kinda looks like it might have been a bit after the seven-minute mark.

The smooth curve looks pretty straightforward to convert to an inlet profile with six points, and you even have the inlet curve as a guide. The Home profile wouldn't duplicate the pre-charge temperature, but could align with your curve by about one minute in.

Thanks again for posting this!

GDM528

#427: Post by GDM528 »

ira wrote:On my Pro 100 I've never thought the bean ramp did that much and have considered putting in a spiral spring to try and lift the very outside beans as the column spins.
Some tape can be your new best friend here, to prototype ideas before investing in something more permanent. You could stick little 'fins' onto the chamber wall to disrupt the beans as they go sliding past:

This example is high-temp rated Kapton, but there are aluminum tapes also rated well beyond the chamber temperatures.

GDM528

#428: Post by GDM528 »

MNate wrote: I just did this with 8 coffees from Hacea - super great way to find what I like.
Could you post your list of 8 coffees in the Ikawa Home Profiles thread? I see the three bags in your photo - but you folded over the part that names the source! - lol. You're doing what the Ikawa is good at: polyroastery.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#429: Post by mgrayson »

ira wrote:Here is the information about the profile I've been using. Based on the output temperature probe so will take some work to move to a Home.

Thank you very much. One thing that puzzles me about this profile and many in Ikawa's library, is that I never hit FC until at least 400˚F. I wonder if my probe is miscalibrated...

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#430: Post by mgrayson »

GDM528 wrote:Thanks!
It's remarkable how you suppressed the ET wobble after the bean drop - respect, sir. Is that the modification you spoke of earlier?
More than a few of the ET profiles have that initial drop, and it's easy to add one when it's absent. It does prevent initial oscillation, but I was never sure if it mattered at such a low temperature.