New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity - Page 37

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
sambuist

#361: Post by sambuist »

I kind of see the same thing when I need to connect via my iPhone. A swipe up to the settings and beck down almost always connects faster than just waiting .

Bluetooth is so strange

Cwilli62

#362: Post by Cwilli62 »

I have what may be a silly question. It is my understanding that with drum roasters, you start at the highest heat setting that you want for a roast and continually decrease the heat as you progress. All of the Ikawa profiles that I've seen have the heat continually increasing throughout the roast.

Where does the difference lie? Why do the same theories not hold with the Ikawa (and other fluid bed roasters?)?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#363: Post by yakster »

The heat in a drum roaster continues to increase throughout the roast, but you drop the heat input as you go along to control the rate of rise, basically the acceleration of the heat increase. Drum roasters have a lot of thermal Mass so they hold the heat that's applied and you need to back off on the heat input to control the temperatures. With a fluid bed roaster, you don't have the thermal mass that you have in a drum roster so in order to increase the temperature during the roast you need to increase the heat input as you go on.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Cwilli62

#364: Post by Cwilli62 »

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#365: Post by yakster »

Basically, with the drum roaster you need a lot more heat at the beginning when you drop the room temperature beans in the roaster, but as the coffee heats up you need less and less heat applied to continue to control the increase in temperature for the roast profile you pick.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Iowa_Boy

#366: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Haven't used my Ikawa in a while but have some small batches of greens I would like to roast.
Tried to load the app and it immediately crashes and shuts down after the home screen.
I even deleted the app and reinstalled and it still does the same thing.
It looks like I have latest version.
Any ideas to try?

Legend_217

#367: Post by Legend_217 »

Me too. App keep crashing on both iphone and ipad

GDM528

#368: Post by GDM528 »

Appreciate the heads-up on the iOS app issues - it got me to check: My iPhone won't even connect to my roaster. And I tried every possible power-on/pairing sequence for the roaster and the phone. There's a blue LED on the controller board next to the clear window above the power cord input that should light up. On the other hand, my spare android phone still connects and can download recipes to the roaster - *whew*

Perhaps a server-side issue at Ikawa? No notice of such on their website, but then again, they shut down the message board where they could post such notifications. Here's hoping they haven't figured out how to remotely brick their roasters with a secret firmware update. Thousands of coffee drinkers going 'off their meds' could get ugly...

Iowa_Boy

#369: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Thank you both! Really helpful to know I am not the only one.
Unfortunately, I deleted all of my data when reinstalling the app. Ugh.
I have sent a support ticket to Ikawa to let them know of the issue, but haven't heard anything yet.

MNate

#370: Post by MNate replying to Iowa_Boy »

I just tried mine and it works as usual. Even made a new profile and it was fine. I'm only on the regular user account, not the Advanced Editor, if maybe that's an issue.

Iowa_Boy, you have several roasters, I think, so you should be fine but you're welcome to come over to roast! Or gather. We may hit up the new coffee shop near me as our previous host is working there now. Hope you're well!