New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity - Page 36

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Cwilli62

#351: Post by Cwilli62 »

Dang. So frustrated right now. I got my Ikawa this week and was all excited to roast today.

First, it took 25 minutes to connect to the Bluetooth. I turned the roaster on/off, Bluetooth on/off, redownloaded the app, location services on/off, everything off and back on. Finally, it connected....not sure what combination worked.

Then I scanned the QR code on the back of the Ikawa greens bag and it sent me directly to their whole library of coffees. I had to scroll down to find the one I was looking for and click the link for downloading the recipe.

So a new window opens up with a button that says to click to download the recipe to the Ikawa Home app. Clicking on that button didn't do anyting.... So I went back and tried several more times. Still, clicking on the button did nothing. Then I mashed the button 10 times in a row. And I got taken to a page with links to the Apple store and the Android store to download the Ikawa app. Clicked on the Android button and it (obviously) tells me that the app is already downloaded and asks if I want to open it. Opening the app from there does just that...opens the app. No new recipe in there. (BTW this is the same issue that I was having the other day and it was proposed that it may have been because I didn't have the roaster yet. Now I have the roaster and the same issue occurred.)

What kind of garbage is this?! I could create my own recipe, as Android still has the older version of the app, but since this is the first time that I am using the Ikawa, I figured it would be good to try one of their recipes with their greens to get up and going, learn the roaster, etc.

On top of all of that, I spilled my cup of coffee in the process. Oh my. :shock: I emailed customer support (again) to see what they say. No response yet from my prior inquiry. Really, I suppose I'm not doing anything here except for ranting. I was looking forward to playing today and roasting some coffee but will have to wait.

Auctor

#352: Post by Auctor »

Sounds like you're using the Android app, which isn't officially supported for the latest Home roaster. It's in the disclaimers, and somewhere in the body copy of the site.

Cwilli62

#353: Post by Cwilli62 »

Indeed. But aren't others here doing the same thing?

Additionally, if I use the app to scan a QR code from a bag of coffee that comes from the company itself, shouldn't it load into the app? That has nothing to do with the roaster.

erohaj12

#354: Post by erohaj12 »

I'm using the roaster with both an android phone and an apple ipad. Best of both worlds. On Android, I had to go into the device settings and allow it to open links in the Ikawa app. I had no idea that's what the issue was because there was no indication of how to fix the problem. Before I made the change in the settings, I was having the same issue you are having with it not opening the profile in the app.

As for the bluetooth, I've noticed that it's much faster to connect on Android -- like seconds! On the ipad, it can take a few mins to connect. I turn off the bluetooth on my android (just to be sure it isn't competing for the bluetooth connection); turn the bluetooth off/on on my ipad, and turn the roaster off/on.

GDM528

#355: Post by GDM528 »

Cwilli62 wrote:Indeed. But aren't others here doing the same thing?

Additionally, if I use the app to scan a QR code from a bag of coffee that comes from the company itself, shouldn't it load into the app? That has nothing to do with the roaster.
It may not sound helpful to say this, but the Android app works for me:
With the Ikawa powered off, I used my Android phone (LG V20) to scan the QR off Ikawa's bag of Blue Ayarza. It connected to Ikawa's servers that offered up a couple of recipes to download. I picked the espresso profile, which downloaded into the app as "Boie espresso medium+" - and the graph looks consistent with that. Turned on my Ikawa home, and it connected in about 5 seconds. Hate me yet? :)

I may differ in a few critical ways however:
It's an older handset (2016), running Android version 7.0 (Nougat). Bluetooth version 4.2
The very first time I connected to the Ikawa, I used an iPhone with the latest version of Ikawa's software meant for the new Home machine. Perhaps that was some sort of duckling-bonding thing that registered my particular unit so that Ikawa's servers would be more forthcoming with dishing out recipes. So perhaps they don't consider you legit.

Proposed experiment:
Find someone with an iOS phone, lure them with the promise of free coffee, to install the Ikawa app just long enough to appease the Ikawa gods, before retreating to the backwater Android app.

Cwilli62

#356: Post by Cwilli62 »

erohaj12 wrote:I'm using the roaster with both an android phone and an apple ipad. Best of both worlds. On Android, I had to go into the device settings and allow it to open links in the Ikawa app. I had no idea that's what the issue was because there was no indication of how to fix the problem. Before I made the change in the settings, I was having the same issue you are having with it not opening the profile in the app.

As for the bluetooth, I've noticed that it's much faster to connect on Android -- like seconds! On the ipad, it can take a few mins to connect. I turn off the bluetooth on my android (just to be sure it isn't competing for the bluetooth connection); turn the bluetooth off/on on my ipad, and turn the roaster off/on.
Jackpot! This worked as far as getting recipes from the Ikawa site to the app. Had to go to the settings and add the Ikawa support site to the allowed section, as you stated. Thank you for the help!
GDM528 wrote:It may not sound helpful to say this, but the Android app works for me:
With the Ikawa powered off, I used my Android phone (LG V20) to scan the QR off Ikawa's bag of Blue Ayarza. It connected to Ikawa's servers that offered up a couple of recipes to download. I picked the espresso profile, which downloaded into the app as "Boie espresso medium+" - and the graph looks consistent with that. Turned on my Ikawa home, and it connected in about 5 seconds. Hate me yet? :)

I may differ in a few critical ways however:
It's an older handset (2016), running Android version 7.0 (Nougat). Bluetooth version 4.2
The very first time I connected to the Ikawa, I used an iPhone with the latest version of Ikawa's software meant for the new Home machine. Perhaps that was some sort of duckling-bonding thing that registered my particular unit so that Ikawa's servers would be more forthcoming with dishing out recipes. So perhaps they don't consider you legit.

Proposed experiment:
Find someone with an iOS phone, lure them with the promise of free coffee, to install the Ikawa app just long enough to appease the Ikawa gods, before retreating to the backwater Android app.
I will play around with the Bluetooth connectivity and see if I can get it to connect any faster. I have a Pixel 6, for what that is worth. The phone recognizes the Ikawa immediately and it tries to pair but fails to. I will implement your suggestions and see what comes of them. I just don't want to have to fight it for 20 minutes every time but if I figure out the magic combo, I can handle doing it in that order every time. *Close one eye, hold your breath, make sure you are on the LEFT side of the machine, mutter to the coffee gods....all at the same time. Whatever works!*

D00MDAWG

#357: Post by D00MDAWG »

Since Ikawa Home does not have an Advanced Editor (unless you pay the monthly fee) if we ended up purchasing an Ikawa Home and used the current android app for the temp data points will the app eventually be unusable once they update their android app?

I would say having both the current android app along with the current iOS app would be very beneficial ya? You would get both the guided edit along with the ability to change data points. :?:

-CD

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#358: Post by Peppersass »

D00MDAWG wrote:will the app eventually be unusable once they update their android app?
Depends. Not long ago, Google introduced the capability for app developers to force you to upgrade. I suspect this works through the license check, whereby apps check with the Google Play store to make sure you have a license. I think that means you can't use apps like that unless you're connected to the Internet, but I'm not sure about that.

So, it depends on whether Ikawa implemented that "feature" and whether you need to be online to use the app. You might try turning off Wi-Fi and Cellular and launching the old Ikawa app. If it works, there are several apps that let you locate an app's .apk (install file.) Copy that to a safe place, like an SD card. Then try to disable automatic updates for the Ikawa app. I believe you do this through on the Google Play store. If that doesn't work (i.e., you can't disable updates for the Ikawa app), you'll have the .apk file so you can reinstall the old app.

D00MDAWG

#359: Post by D00MDAWG »

Just verified on my old android that you can use this app and save recipes without internet.

ira
Team HB

#360: Post by ira »

So having read this thread, I started playing around with the iPad while waiting for the roaster to connect. What I eventually discovered was that swiping down from the top to get the notification list and then immediately swiping back up to clear it would cause the roaster to connect every time. Since then I've purchased a new iPad Air and while it seems to connect faster, the swipe up-down also causes it to connect much faster. Very weird.

Ira