New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity - Page 35

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ira
Team HB

#341: Post by ira »

On my Ikawa it seems to take a very long time for the bluetooth to connect, like maybe a minute sometimes, is that normal? Or I guess it that the experience of others. I'm connecting to a 9" iPad Pro that's a few years old.

Ira

MNate
Supporter ♡

#342: Post by MNate » replying to ira »

Actually I meant to ask about that too. My newer iPhone also takes a bit. I've tried restarting the app as the Ikawa is turned on and a few other combos and I'm not sure what finally gets it to lock in.

Anyone find the right way to have it quickly connect?

mathof

#343: Post by mathof » replying to MNate »

I have found the best way to connect is to turn off bluetooth from the control centre and after a moment switch it back on. If that doesn't work, switch the roaster off and back on, and then return to switching bluetooth on and off.

ira
Team HB

#344: Post by ira »

So it's bluetooth implementation basically sucks. Oh well, at least it's to be expected and mine's not broken.

Ira

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#345: Post by mgrayson »

mathof wrote:I have found the best way to connect is to turn off bluetooth from the control centre and after a moment switch it back on. If that doesn't work, switch the roaster off and back on, and then return to switching bluetooth on and off.
Exactly this! It became a reflex and took about a second. Slightly annoying, but that's all.
And, yes, the Pro app connects immediately. Figures... :?

Auctor

#346: Post by Auctor »

ira wrote:So it's bluetooth implementation basically sucks. Oh well, at least it's to be expected and mine's not broken.

Ira
Sadly, yes, this has been my experience as well.

GDM528

#347: Post by GDM528 »

Cwilli62 wrote:Does anyone know how well the roaster does with cooler ambient temperatures? What is the coldest that the air temp can be and still have the roaster be effective?

Edit: Also, and please forgive my ignorance here, is it actually safe to roast indoors even with a "smokeless" roaster? Aren't there still potentially harmful gases being released during the roasting process?
The Ikawa's thermal control system should first-order correct for ambient air. In a cooler ambient the heater might draw more power and/or run longer to hit the desired temps. Perhaps it might keep (save?) you from making a Vienna roast if it's too cold outside.

I wanted to put my Ikawa under my range hood, but the clearance was really tight, especially for 270C air. So, I got busy on an aluminum roasting pan and origami'd (technically kirigami) me an air deflector. It dumps the air into the capture volume of the range hood and allows me to get a clear view into the bean chamber during the roast. Pretty sure it didn't need to be as complicated as I made it, and at some point I'll replace it with something that looks more like what Ikawa should've included with the machine.

GDM528

#348: Post by GDM528 »

ira wrote:On my Ikawa it seems to take a very long time for the bluetooth to connect, like maybe a minute sometimes, is that normal? Or I guess it that the experience of others. I'm connecting to a 9" iPad Pro that's a few years old.

Ira
Normal like a LA traffic jam. I use an Android phone and the prior-gen app, and it connects in just a few seconds.

Cwilli62

#349: Post by Cwilli62 »

Nate and Gary, thanks for the replies re my inquiry.

Unfortunately, I don't have a vent hood in my kitchen....all of the lovely cooking gasses from our stove vent into the kitchen. So that is a no-go for me until we move to a different place. I may have to get crafty and vent out a cracked window or something, reminiscent of some good ole' high school days. Haha.

I am going to play around with the Ikawa outside in cold (for NM) temps and see how well the roaster can handle it.

Also, I posed my questions to the Ikawa support team, just to see what kind of response I would get. I'll post their reply here if/when I get one.

GDM528

#350: Post by GDM528 » replying to Cwilli62 »

Forgot to mention that I've read of some peeps running their IKawa in a bathroom - which usually have a fan, or at least more forgiving rules for smells.