New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity - Page 32

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
harris

#311: Post by harris »

Not to be rude but what is the Pro100 going for these days?

Auctor

#312: Post by Auctor »

$5270

mariowar

#313: Post by mariowar replying to Auctor »

Wow, you can have an Ikawa Home and a Bullet for one thousand less and you will have the best of both worlds.....

GDM528

#314: Post by GDM528 replying to mariowar »

I suspect many of the Pro's are purchased with OPM (other people's money), hence the 5x markup over what the Home with just one more eensy little thermocouple probe in the bean chamber would have cost. FWIW I added my thermal probe for about $50 (ignoring the >$10K of fabrication tools I used :) )

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#315: Post by mgrayson »

GDM528 wrote:I suspect the Pro's are purchased with OPM (other people's money), hence the 5x markup over what the Home with just one more eensy little thermocouple probe in the bean chamber would have cost. FWIW I added my thermal probe for about $50 (ignoring the >$10K of fabrication tools I used :) )
Ok, I'll be defensive just this once :D

It was my money, although they offered a nice discount. You are not paying for the extra probe. You're paying for the Pelican Case. Wait! No! You're paying for the closed loop control. While I'm sure that that hardware and coding could be done at half the price the Pro sells for, it hasn't been, so my choices are get it or not get it. Fortunately for me, I have more expensive hobbies and just sold a lens for the same price as the Pro100. Most people would consider a $6,000 lens overpriced, too.

Ok. You can now abuse my financial stupidity and I will accept the opprobrium.

Matt

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#316: Post by Peppersass »

GDM528 wrote:I suspect the Pro's are purchased with OPM (other people's money).
I believe most of the Pro's have been purchased by professional roasters and greens buyers for sample roasting, for which they are extremely well suited. They, or the owners of the companies they work for, wouldn't consider the money OPM. It's very much their money. However, most businesses can write the roaster off as an equipment purchase with accelerated depreciation. So on average it'll be maybe 25%-30% less expensive than a consumer would have to pay for a Pro. Still considerably more expensive than a Home 100.

As Matt said, it's not just the thermocouple. It's the software. It's probable that the pricing also takes into consideration that Pro users are unlikely to purchase greens from Ikawa, which is clearly a part of their business model for the Home machine. Figure in Ikawa's revenue and margins for greens over a period of years, and it just may be that the Home and Pro prices converge at some point.

FWIW, I would still buy the Pro V3 (now Pro 50) today. It fits my roasting goals like a glove.

harris

#317: Post by harris »

With the Pro are there any hidden costs like a monthly app fee?

@mgrayson, nice purchase. Will you be starting a new thread when it arrives? I'm considering using my own money too...

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#318: Post by mgrayson replying to harris »

I don't want to hijack this thread - the Ikawa Home is a truly great product and very impressive work is being done here to make it better. I believe there are threads dedicated to the Ikawa Pro, or at least roaster threads in which it is discussed. I will move my experiences there.

Quick answer is no, no fees for the Pro app. That would make up the price difference in about 10 years, if my math is correct. But the Home doesn't need the editor as much as it needs a larger library of profiles. And the folks doing the extra thermocouple mods will be able to produce those quite accurately.

GDM528

#319: Post by GDM528 »

mgrayson wrote:Ok, I'll be defensive just this once :D

It was my money, although they offered a nice discount. You are not paying for the extra probe. You're paying for the Pelican Case. Wait! No! You're paying for the closed loop control. While I'm sure that that hardware and coding could be done at half the price the Pro sells for, it hasn't been, so my choices are get it or not get it. Fortunately for me, I have more expensive hobbies and just sold a lens for the same price as the Pro100. Most people would consider a $6,000 lens overpriced, too.

Ok. You can now abuse my financial stupidity and I will accept the opprobrium.

Matt
Apologies, I should have said "many of the Pro's". My observations so far, indicate the peeps on this forum are exceptional enthusiasts of the craft, and follow a different set of rules than the people that look at me and ask "why would you roast your own coffee?". Never my intent to challenge anyone's decision here.

OPM (aka biz expense) can also follow a unique set of rules to justify and discount the cost. I can imagine the purchase pays back faster than the asset depreciation via reduced labor, training, and better bean purchase decisions. Ikawa claims to have shipped 10,000 units, which seems like a pretty good seal of approval.

I admit to occasional outbursts of annoyance at Ikawa hobbling the Home version, then holding the Graph Editor hostage for about the same price as their greens subscription. It's as if they mean to sell the Home version for $970, plus $400/year, forever. I bet I'm not the customer they were hoping for :twisted:

I've downloaded and looked over the Pro software. It's really nice - I'm jealous. Unclear to me what "closed loop control" is... what does that mean?

mtbizzle

#320: Post by mtbizzle »

GDM528 wrote:BTW, RyanP's recipe should be editable by your free iOS app, so you could tweak it further if you wish. For example, extend out to 9:30, listen for first-crack, then manually hit the start/stop button when you think it's developed long enough.

All recipes are editable with the current (free) Android app, if you can find a cheap phone or tablet to run it on.

Also, there's another thread in the Roasting section specifically for Ikawa recipes, it'd be awesome if you can share your results there.
IKAWA Home - profiles
I'm trying to understand the functionality of the current (v2) Home with Android. Their website makes it sound like there is no support/app control right now unless you have iOS.

I gather that, currently, with (out of date) Android Ikawa home app + v2 home roaster, you can fully edit profiles? Is that right?
Let's say Android app gets updated, on par with current iOS app. What profiling choices does the Ikawa home offer? (It's still not entirely clear to me). I understand you can choose from a set of parameters (light/med-light/med/med-dark/dark) (dev time) ... Is there a profile library to pull from? Can you download custom profiles?
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle