New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity - Page 30

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
patrickneil

#291: Post by patrickneil »

Wow. Thanks for all the quick and thoughtful replies. I don't want to hijack this post and am happy to start a new thread but I am currently between buying the Ikawa Home Roaster or Bullet (assuming I can source one). I am brand new to roasting and know next to nothing at this point but want to learn. Any thoughts on the best direction to go?

ira
Team HB

#292: Post by ira »

I find it hard to believe a 120 gm load would work as even slightly raising the fan speed on a 100 gram batch gets close to blowing beans out during the roast. The reason I raised the fan speed is it seemed to be needed to keep the beans moving.

Ira

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#293: Post by mgrayson » replying to ira »

The claim of 120g was for the Pro. I have no experience with which to back up or refute it.

mariowar
Supporter ♡

#294: Post by mariowar »

I have been thinking and there might be a light at the end of the tunnel to be able to roast 100g extending roasting times a few seconds....

I wonder if any members that have access to the Graph Editor could edit and share Ikawa's recommended Washed Espresso profile:
Roast Degree : Medium
Development : High

All what I ask is to extend the development phase from 8:40 to 9:00 minutes.

Let me know if this is possible.

Thanks!

RyanP

#295: Post by RyanP » replying to mariowar »

'Espresso medium++++' freshly roasted by @ikawahome, here's the recipe
https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... hlZCIAKAA=

mariowar
Supporter ♡

#296: Post by mariowar »

RyanP wrote: 'Espresso medium++++' freshly roasted by @ikawahome, here's the recipe
https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... hlZCIAKAA=
RyanP,

Awesome! Thanks a bunch!!

GDM528

#297: Post by GDM528 » replying to mariowar »

BTW, RyanP's recipe should be editable by your free iOS app, so you could tweak it further if you wish. For example, extend out to 9:30, listen for first-crack, then manually hit the start/stop button when you think it's developed long enough.

All recipes are editable with the current (free) Android app, if you can find a cheap phone or tablet to run it on.

Also, there's another thread in the Roasting section specifically for Ikawa recipes, it'd be awesome if you can share your results there.
IKAWA Home - profiles

mariowar
Supporter ♡

#298: Post by mariowar » replying to GDM528 »

GDM528, that is exactly what I was thinking and what I just. I was just able to go 1:50 into first crack before cooling ( Colombia- El Cortijo Venezia, Coffee Axis Region). There will be occasions where I can extend the roast a little bit more, or just stop the roast once it gets to development point that I wanted. I just hate running short of time.....and grassy roasts...Thank you for the link and I will see what I can do with my Android. Upon checking, it include recipes for the 50g home roaster and I can see the editor. I wonder if creating recipes for the old roaster will work in the new one.

GDM528

#299: Post by GDM528 »

mariowar wrote:I wonder if creating recipes for the old roaster will work in the new one.
I haven't checked them all, but the old legacy recipes appear to work on the new Home machine. I suspect the Home machine is the Pro with a few missing parts and a dumbed-down app.

mariowar
Supporter ♡

#300: Post by mariowar »

patrickneil wrote:Wow. Thanks for all the quick and thoughtful replies. I don't want to hijack this post and am happy to start a new thread but I am currently between buying the Ikawa Home Roaster or Bullet (assuming I can source one). I am brand new to roasting and know next to nothing at this point but want to learn. Any thoughts on the best direction to go?
The Bullet and the Ikawa Home are two different beasts.
The bullet is a drum roaster that will allow you to roast up to a kilo with full control. No automatic profiles at all and it will produce a lot of smoke. Also, it is almost $4000.

On the other hand, the Ikawa Home is a fluid bed roaster that is geared to folks that want to roast consistent 85-100g batches having minimal interaction with the roaster since user control is limited.

The Ikawa Pro 120g will provides you full control of the roast but it is even pricier than the Bullet.