New Huky 500t purchase questions - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hankua
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by hankua »

I got a used perforated Huky drum recently and a couple of weeks later the matching sliding grate. Have not got going with it just yet, my first observation is it somewhat messy compared to the solid, which also drops chaff. The airflow is completely different between the two drums where the perforated has a solid back vs the solid drum with a perforated back. Perforated airflow is bottom to top vs solid's back to front. The perforated drum seems to have more heat transfer capacity, I was able to easily take a 500g charge past second crack, maybe a better choice for roasting larger quantities.

Started playing around with different regulators by accident, including testing them. The el-cheapo Amazon "Gas One 2106" is a 1-psi regulator and can hit 30" wc or 7+ kPa vs the standard low pressure regulator around 13" wc. If you want to use the "Gas One" just get a 3/8" union, snip off the end, heat up the black hose (heat gun/boiling water), and use the included braided hose. I even bought a regulator for a one pound cylinder, it has a smaller hose and requires a different union, might have been 1/4" to 3/8".

The inch water column gages are easier to source, it really doesn't matter what scale they say it's more of a reference point. The 1psi regulator would use a 30" wc gauge, Camco for example would use a 15" wc gauge.

The biggest issue with any coffee roaster is how is it going to be vented?

Frankc1450 (original poster)

#12: Post by Frankc1450 (original poster) »

Ok, great replies, thanks.
I'll definitely use probes for all three measurement points. I'll look into the costs before I decide how I do it. Definitely using RTDs for BT and ET.
What's wrong with the regulator and gauge on the Huky stove? I'm not doubting the need just wondering.
After all I've read about controlling the fan speed I think I'll just order one or two fans on Amazon that have variable controls built in.
This may be bigger than I need. https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Inline-V ... B01CTM0JF2

Frank

#13: Post by Frankc1450 (original poster) »

Is this the regulator you meant?
https://www.amazon.com/2106-Propane-Reg ... 226&sr=8-1
I would have thought this would be better.
https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-2120-Prop ... 226&sr=8-2
This one has a gauge but that's not why I included it. I thought the idea was to have a accurate adjustment knob? No?

Frank

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Brewzologist »

Frankc1450 wrote: What's wrong with the regulator and gauge on the Huky stove? I'm not doubting the need just wondering.
There is nothing 'wrong' with either of them. Just not optimum. In short, the stock regulator doesn't fit USA propane tanks well and doesn't allow for you to choose a higher input pressure, and gauge with a smaller range (0-6kPa) will make it easier and more precise to control gas flow during a roast. See the following thread for more info: Huky - Gas Regulator
Frankc1450 wrote: After all I've read about controlling the fan speed I think I'll just order one or two fans on Amazon that have variable controls built in.
This may be bigger than I need. https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Inline-V ... B01CTM0JF2
Fans are a broad topic that are inter-related to the chaff collection system you use. The size and CFM will depend on whether you choose axial or centrifugal fans and whether you are using a cyclone or the stock Huky chaff collection system. You will also want metal blades ideally unless you can reduce the heat a bit between the roaster and the fan. You also need to ensure the fan controller you choose will give you the level of control you will want. Recommend you start by reading this thread: Cyclone Chaff Collector and Fan Setup -Huky 500

Marcelnl

#15: Post by Marcelnl »

I'm using my Huky at a fixed air flow and LIKE the results, I;d go for BT and ET with RTD and call it a day.
LMWDP #483

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Brewzologist »

Frankc1450 wrote:Is this the regulator you meant?
https://www.amazon.com/2106-Propane-Reg ... 226&sr=8-1
I would have thought this would be better.
https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-2120-Prop ... 226&sr=8-2
This one has a gauge but that's not why I included it. I thought the idea was to have a accurate adjustment knob? No?

Frank
Go with a 0-5 PSI regulator if you can find it: https://www.amazon.com/KIBOW-Adjustable ... 164&sr=8-3. You don't need 0-30PSI and that just makes it easier to blow out your gauges and ruin them :D Read the gas regulator thread for more info on the regulator and the rationale behind gas gauges:

Yes, the idea is to have an accurate needle valve and the one included with the Huky is good. But you also need an accurate gauge to know what to set the needle valve to. The range of the stock gas gauge included with the Huky is too wide, making precise gas control harder. The Huky is all about gas when controlling a roast because it has low thermal mass, so having a better gas gauge allows more precise and repeatable control.

Again, neither the regulator or gauge HAS to be upgraded but you will likely want to do this once you get experience roasting. Please have a look at those threads which should answer your questions on why/what/how.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Brewzologist »

Marcelnl wrote:I'm using my Huky at a fixed air flow and LIKE the results, I;d go for BT and ET with RTD and call it a day.
Agree with Marcel. Once you get your fan/chaff system dialed in, during an actual roast you'll be best to just pick the optimum fan setting and not change it.

FYI; Here is a recent but long thread from another new Huky user that can give you some idea of the challenges in getting everything working and then to produce good roasts. It would be worth a skim read at least: 1st effort roasting on Huky 500T... advice? This may all seem overwhelming and it's why I made the earlier 'Rube Goldberg' comment when referring to the Huky. But the good news is pretty much everything you need to know is in this forum and once you get it setup and dialed in, roasting is a snap. And I think you'll love the Huky coming from a Gene Cafe because it will greatly expand your roasting knowledge and capabilities.

#18: Post by Frankc1450 (original poster) »

Ok thanks everyone. I wasn't getting the function of the regulator without an adjustment. I didn't understand it's limiting the overall pressure to the stove.

I'll read those threads then respond.
Cheers :)

#19: Post by Frankc1450 (original poster) »

Well, wow! :shock:
I've read through the threads and the threads off the threads and I think even another level from that.
Quite an impressive accumulation of information.
I just want to commend all of you who have responded not just to me but on all those threads. It adds up to a lot of time and kind advise.
I think I've clipped and saved all the links I need and want to order.
I'll repost with the whole enchilada.

Thanks again,
Frank

Marcelnl

#20: Post by Marcelnl »

Frank,

MOst of us are quite serious about roasting so we dump all the gory detail at you, aside from getting the items for the initial bill of materials I'd suggest to take it slow, there is much to take in and that likely does not work all in one go.

Roasting is not THAT difficult, with good gear the process can be controlled but you need to internalize all the bits and bobs and adjustments you need to make and t here is plenty to get accustomed to... In my first roasts with the Huky I was running behind most events, opening the vent valve after the soak, too late...reducing gas...too late....and so on. After a few roasts the sequence is more clear and things settle down, and you can improve as the 8-10 minutes of a roast seem to take much longer than at the beginning where the minutes fly by.
LMWDP #483