New Hottop model + Upgrade Kit

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
EvanOz85

#1: Post by EvanOz85 »

https://www.hottopusa.com/news.html

Surprised this hasn't been discussed here yet. I'll definitely be upgrading my KN-8828B-2K, mainly for the more powerful heating element. The price of the upgrade kit is apparently $460. Not cheap, but if it lets me sufficiently shorten the time from DE to 1st crack then it will be worth it.

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

I was just looking at that last night. The control panel is definitely a huge upgrade. What does the kit include? It must have a lot of parts with the new probe locations.
Chris

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

It says "slightly higher output element" so I wouldn't get too excited about that part. I've been roasting with a 900w element (stock is 720w?) for several years & already have the thermocouples so I don't see $460 worth of improvements over what I already have. If the kit comes with a new inner wall with the BT & ET mounts built in you will be completely tearing down the machine to install the kit.
LMWDP 267

EvanOz85 (original poster)

#4: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

Bob_McBob wrote:I was just looking at that last night. The control panel is definitely a huge upgrade. What does the kit include? It must have a lot of parts with the new probe locations.

KN-08828B-2K+ Control Panel
Two KN-8828B-2K+ K-thermocouples
Updated Heating Element
KN-8828B-2K+ Roast Chamber Rear Wall
Left Side Panel for KN-8828B-2K+ control panel
USB cable
Eject solenoid return spring
Solenoid drip cover
Two eject solenoid return spring seats (special cupped washers)
Assorted replacement screws

I wonder what the wattage of the new element is?

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

JohnB. wrote:It says "slightly higher output element" so I wouldn't get too excited about that part.
I would have posted info here but have been previously berated for doing so because of my employment with Hottop (even though, at that time, I was not working for them).

I have been testing the new roaster for about two weeks. Using a 368 ET (314 BT) drop in temperature, I was able to get a Full City roast (about 40 seconds of 2nd crack) using 360 grams in just under 14:00 of roast time... yes, that is not a typo - three hundred and sixty grams. Now I would definitely not recommend that, nor can I comment on the taste as I gave the coffee away (I roasted about 6 pounds last week), but visually the roast was very even, and I did it for no other reason than to test the capabilities of the new system. The only problem came from the massive amount of beans in the cooling tray not allowing the air to pass through so they were not cooling very well.

I will not be answering any questions here beyond what I just wrote. All info will be posted on the Hottop USA website as it becomes available.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Intrepid510

#6: Post by Intrepid510 »

Oh c'mon, whats the price on the new roaster, not the upgrade kit? 2.5k?

I say that only half jokingly.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

Nice to see the eject button away from the other controls. I hit that on accident more than once although it comes to late for me. Upgraded to a gas roaster.
Dave Stephens

Bob_McBob

#8: Post by Bob_McBob replying to cannonfodder »

I never understood that particular design choice when you have to hit the button beside it several times during a roast.
Chris

EvanOz85 (original poster)

#9: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:in just under 14:00 of roast time... yes, that is not a typo - three hundred and sixty grams. Now I would definitely not recommend that, nor can I comment on the taste as I gave the coffee away (I roasted about 6 pounds last week), but visually the roast was very even, and I did it for no other reason than to test the capabilities of the new system. The only problem came from the massive amount of beans in the cooling tray not allowing the air to pass through so they were not cooling very well.

I will not be answering any questions here beyond what I just wrote. All info will be posted on the Hottop USA website as it becomes available.
With results like these, I find it hard to believe that the new element has just "slightly higher output". Could it be the 900w element?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

The 900w element I use will roast 350g batches to the Full City + level Randy mentioned in less then 14 minutes but the best results are in the 250g-300g range. It also helps to run the roaster off of a variac so you can maintain a 120v+ voltage feed throughout the roast.
LMWDP 267