New Bullet - Roast Along - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#31: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Pulled a SO shot this am on two days rest. Excellent espresso for me. Nice body and mouthfeel, and lots of cocoa as promised. This is the type of espresso I personally enjoy. Not too dark, but favorable and coats your mouth.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

GC7
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by GC7 »

I got a bit of this coffee in and roasted a 1 pound batch yesterday afternoon. I'm transitioning most of my roasts from 325-350 gm charges to larger ones so this is among only a few roasts this large. I believe this bean could take more heat early on and I will charge at 428* next time rather than the 410* charge from this roast. That will speed up the early phase and total roast time a bit. Maybe cut the heat a bit sooner after 1C start to prevent even a hint of a flick. Otherwise, I think this is not a bad first attempt.

I am presently tasting this roast less than 24 hours post-roast. It was brewed with a clever dripper at 16:1 brew ratio. The aroma has a bit of a cardboard hint that I hope will go away with time but otherwise pleasant. There is modest acidity in this coffee but certainly less than average. The flavor ring on the Sweet Maria posting of this coffee is absolutely spot on. I get semi-sweet chocolate, a bit of caramels and a bit of nuts. There is no berry, fruit or "fu fu" complexity and it has just enough sweetness to keep it enjoyable. It most certainly is chugable and crowd pleasing and it didn't change all that much on cooling. You can sit with it and read, listen to music or relax in the morning and it fits into the routine without overly requiring your senses to evaluate and compute. Thumbs up so far.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
mkane
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by mkane »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#34: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I just ordered 20 more lbs as I think this would be an excellent blender with fruity Ethiopian. I split my first 20 with my brother in law.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

hercdeisel

#35: Post by hercdeisel » replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I ordered some more of this as well...it's just such a great chocolatey starting point for a blend...really enjoyable...

I've put a bunch more roasts of this coffee through (lots of folks around lately to share coffee with and I can't resist playing with the roaster...) and am starting to get things dialed in to where I'm actually able to think about and manipulate some variables.

For example, I've worked out a 9min profile and an 11min profile here (and am in the process of comparing them; they both have similar-ish drop temps (209/210 on the IBTS; 195 on the Bean Temp sensor) and post FC development times (1:45-1:55):

9min

11min

Starting to compare them now and the 9min is definitely a 'sharper' taste profile where the flavors jump out a bit more than the 11min roast though both register as clearly the same coffee with a lot of chocolate going on. Both very enjoyable even with such a novice roaster at the helm.

As I've been roasting more I'm trying to understand the relationship between the IBTS and Bean temp probes and which one to pay more attention to...the IBTS RoR (visible in the pictures/roasTime app but for some reason I can't make them visible on the website version of the roasts). For example, the IBTS RoR generally has a fairly smooth declining shape whereas the bean probe always gets a rise before FC. Given that I'm only using 375g batches though I'm not sure if the bean temp reflecting a real change in RoR despite the IBTS not registering any such change? If I was using a fuller batch size, would the Bean and IBTS RoR curves look more similar? Or as I try to adjust and develop roast strategies should I try to manage the Bean temp probe RoR more carefully rather than the IBTS?

bradm
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by bradm »

Here's an attempt at a dark(er) roast, just a few degrees short of SC:

Started with a cold roaster, exactly 20 min. preheat. The beans looked really nice and uniform in the pan.

With 7 days rest a drip brew had rich creamy body with cocoa, nuts, and red apple peel that strengthened in cooling. No oil on beans, but tasted quite dark. Chuggable but not special.

day 12 (vac-sealed): Tiny oil droplets on a few beans. Drip brew has cocoa chocolate with smooth rich body, mild bitterness. Hints of nuts and molasses. Flavors are stable from hot to cold. Good generic dark roast.