New 100g $89 "Popper" roaster at Sweet Maria's [VIDEO] - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
renatoa

#51: Post by renatoa »

For brew/cupping, same day. Since day three I feel losing nuances.
The degassing theory is for espresso.

another_jim
Team HB

#52: Post by another_jim »

To fill that out -- darker roasts (first pops of the second crack or beyond) can be used after 24 hours, lighter roasts pulled during the first crack generally do better after a week's rest, especially for espresso. If you stopped the roast after the first and before the second, 3 to 5 days works best.

You can use a roast earlier if you let the ground coffee sit a while; but that is hit and miss except when cupping. Cupping is usually done within a day of roasting; so it's customary to let the ground coffee sit and degas for a half hour to an hour before starting. You can tell when it's ready to go, because the coffee's dry aroma will only become noticeable after it has degassed.
Jim Schulman

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
Splatcat

#53: Post by Splatcat »

Thanks. It was a 7 minute roast. First Crack about 5 minutes and cooled before any 2nd crack. I did pulled a shot this morning and my cheeks still hurt. Way too bright. I'm going to loose alot of time to the popper.

mikelipino

#54: Post by mikelipino »

How did the beans look? That timing suggests a light roast that will be bright even if you let it rest. It can be tempered with espresso prep for light (high T, fine grind, long pull), but that's the character you'll get. SM recommends 7 min to first crack and 2-3 min development for espresso, which I haven't tried on purpose yet, but some beans that went a little long worked well for espresso after around 4 days to degas.

On the proper time to cup, I'm definitely a novice at tasting, and cupping from 4-72 h after roasts seem pretty close to my tastes. The earlier cups tend to be roastier and the 72 h cups might be a bit muted, but any cupping was useful to compare the quality of my roasts to make tweaks to subsequent roasts. I'm going with not sweating the time too much, not until I'm a Q grader.

Splatcat

#55: Post by Splatcat »

The beans look great. Evenly roasted, no charging. They are plump and smooth and the creases are open and slightly lighter than the bean. They look great to me. I do prefer single origin light roasts and brew about 2.5 to 3 to 1 ratios. I just roasted a Kenya peaberry the same way. Thay also look delicious. Hopefully the inside developed as well as the outside. I can see how this could get addictive. I guess I'll wait till Wednesday morning and find out.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#56: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Dark roasts on the Popper, previews the temperature probe mod

Splatcat

#57: Post by Splatcat »

Well. My 1st and 2nd attempt fell a bit short. Tasted a bit grassy and flat. The peaberry was not good. Today I ran a 13 minute roast. We shall see.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
mikelipino

#58: Post by mikelipino »

@Splatcat, how long is your DE time and time to 1C? I think I solved grassiness in drip by shooting for 2:30-3:00 for DE and 5:00 for 1C. When I hit DE between 1:00-1:30 (totally possible to do this in Popper without scorching, but not great in cup), I don't think that was enough time to fully cook out all the water.

I just tasted my second espresso roast (first was a bit too under developed) and it turned out excellently! I took detailed roast notes so I'll be doing this back to back for a week's worth of spro.

If you're interested, here's the FC espresso profile for a MX washed, which SM recommends to extend to around 10 min. Since it's confusing to use a time format for heat and also... time, my dial goes from 0 (9:00 position) to 6 (3:00 position).

0:00 - 3.6 high 90 g charge
3:14 - 3.3 high DE 355F
6:15 - 4 high (momentum for 1C)
7:03 - 3.6 high 1C 430F
7:50 - 3.5 high (1C peak, lower to coast)
8:29 - 1C end
9:30 - drop 456F
16.7% weight reduction

renatoa

#59: Post by renatoa »

mikelipino wrote:...When I hit DE between 1:00-1:30 (totally possible to do this in Popper without scorching...
I dare to disagree about this assert, and generally about all claims that even acceptable roasts can be achieved with so short times.
Some thermodynamics help us to draw the profile of minimum time roast within acceptable limits, you have it attached.
The coordinate of a standard 150C DE is close to 3 minutes mark, at 180 seconds, and the 200C FC can be found at 310 seconds, a little over 6 minutes.
The temperature of hot air to achieve such roast is 270C, the upper red line asymptotic. Is the maximum allowable temperature without degrading the bean cellulose matrix.

mikelipino

#60: Post by mikelipino »

It's quite possible you're right, Renato. And I am new to all this!

For the chart, do we know the conditions? It's been a while since I've done any fluid dynamics, but heat transfer by convection is highly dependent on air velocity. These cyclonic poppers are designed for higher air velocities as compared to other roasting methods with some forced air.

And fluid dynamics aside, these are the results I'm actually getting and can easily get DE in under 2 minutes and FC in under 5 minutes unless I carefully manage heat (unregulated popcorn poppers will often hit 2C in 5 minutes! Not good for taste, but examples how efficient convection can be).