Need some advice with roasting defects

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Kjote0422

#1: Post by Kjote0422 »

Any advice is appreciated.I have been trying to roast a natural Colombian Geisha from Finca La Estrella. I has reasons to believe it is not a very dense bean because i kept getting tipping, and that's the major issue with my roast. After several attempts with lowered charging temp, initial heat soaking, and lower heat setting than normal still doesn't eliminate tipping and a little bit of scorching. Is it normal to get bitterness in a freshly roasted beans or it is a result of roasting defects? i am also not able to achieve the complexity I was looking for. For example, the distinct floral, citrusy, and tea like characteristics. what i get in a cup is just sweet with a hint of dried fruits, and bittern finish.
below are some picture of the roast and roast profile. If someone can chip in and let me what i could have don't to mitigate tipping and scorching please.

Vince_in_Montreal

#2: Post by Vince_in_Montreal »

I am not convinced you are building enough heat/pressure at the beginning of the roast. That 6 minute middle phase seems way long to me. And overall your temperatures are very low. Then again you say you get tipping and scorching at these temps so I'm not sure.

What are you roasting on exactly?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Hard to tell from the photo but I'm not sure if your getting tipping, scorching or facing with the coffee. Does the Kaleido M2 Pro Roaster have variable drum speed? Maybe your not getting enough bean loft and mixing and the long, flat Geisha beans are making too much contact with the drum. Maybe look at batch size too.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

I agree with Chris. I'm scanning over your attached photo of the coffee and I don't see much evidence of scorching or tipping. Quite a few suspect beans look more like they have depulping/processing damage instead of tipping. But still not enough to affect the cup I don't think.

Looking at your profile you shared, is this coffee just hours old? It says 5/10 on the graph, but that could be notes? But if it is just fresh off the roast, you should wait 4 days before being concerned about aroma and flavor development. Especially with naturals and geishas specifically. You might find a lot more of those incredible florals emerging after proper rest.

And in many cases, I find Geisha coffees to be on the lower end of the density scale. I often roast them similar to low grown Brazilians, just with less development time at the end.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

This link from Barista Hustle has a great photo demonstrating tipping. Note, it's not the thin cracks at the tips of the beans that are often present that are what's described as tipping, it's the darkened halo of scorched coffee at the tip.

https://www.baristahustle.com/lesson/cq ... g-defects/

You can roast a coffee at a lower temperature and treat it gently with the heat, and not get the fine cracks at the tips, but it might not deliver you the tastiest coffee. I'll take an amazing tasting profile that has some small cracks over smooth and pretty looking baked coffee any day.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

luca
Team HB

#6: Post by luca »

I'm not really a great roaster or anything, but if you want to get maximum aroma out of this, you probably want something like a filter or "nordic" roast, and 13 minutes with 1:45 development time seems to be a very long time to me for such a roast, particularly if you are at a sub 400g roast. Like, for contrast, I think Talor had a graph in one of her mailing list emails and it was like sub 10 minutes with like 1 min or less of development time.

I seem to remember Rob talking about tipping in his recent defects workshop, which we talked about on this thread:

Rob Hoos/Loring Free Roasting Defects Seminar

There's a link to the video there if you want to watch it.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

OldmatefromOZ

#7: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

There is not much internal details available for this roaster, if you can share pictures of the actual drum and how the halogen bulbs heat the drum?
What path does the airflow take?

It says 50 to 300g ideal baking time 5 - 20 mins.

Stainless 304 drum but im guessing it must be some kind of mesh or thin perforated?

Along with its power rating it suggests some kind of Behmor / Hottop cross breed in fancy clothing?

If Im guessing correctly then I would be looking at Behmor / Hottop roasting threads for ideas on how best to roast.

Random roast idea from my possibly wrong deductions above.
It might not even need pre heating?
Try 200g from room temp, hit it with full power.
80% at yellow, 70% heading into crack then drop around 1:15 - 1:30 after the start of first crack.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Brewzologist »

Agree with others responses. From what I could find it appears the Kaleido M2 uses an infrared heat source? Are you doing any kind of warm-up routine before charging? With my old Behmor I found a warm-up was key before charging to mitigate tipping and scorching. I felt like the infrared heat source applied directly to the beans through the perforated Behmor basket had a propensity to tip/scorch before significant environmental roasting temperatures were reached. HTH.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Peppersass »

One way to confirm tipping is to slice the bean open with an X-acto or razor blade. If there's tipping, you'll see the small blackened embryo, around .5mm thick, extending 1-2mm into the bean from one end.

FWIW, in his defects video, Hoos says "scorching" is only visible as small marks on the beans during the roast -- I think before browning starts. Burnt marks on the finished beans indicate "facing".

Kjote0422 (original poster)

#10: Post by Kjote0422 (original poster) »

I am pre-heating the Kaleido M2 to roughly 180C. The profile is showing lower charging temp because i forgot to click "start" on the artisan software when I charge. I am purposely keeping the middle phase longer because I'm afraid i will scorch the beans if I shorten it.
Regarding the drum speed, I have it in the highest setting so i don't think its due to prolonged contact with the drum that cause tipping and scorching.

There are a few fellows saying there are not much tipping in my roast, so i took more detail pics on the defect beans, and they are through the whole batch.
For the record I am roasting 250g every single to be consistent on the roasting time, but i will try to do less next time to create more space in the drum. Brewzologist is probable right on infrared transmitting direct heat to the beans and potentially cause scorching and tipping?

I understand the beans need to rest for at least a week to reach the full potential, but i do believe you cannot get rid of the bitterness from scorching and tipping. Please correct me if i am wrong. Finally, I would like to thank all of you for the advices.