Need help with post-roast data

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
edwa

#1: Post by edwa »

I'm just a home roaster using Artisan (Mac OS) on my Hottop K+ and I primarily roast blends for my espresso needs. About once every 10 days I roast 4 batches of 200-220 grams. My current methodology is frustrating me. As I roast with Artisan I'm also running Roastmaster on my iPad for the Bean inventory management and label making. In addition out of pre-software habits I write down notes and data on paper. With all of this, I can't easily do a search of all the roasts I've done using a specific Bean either as an SO or in a blend. I've been reading the guide on Artisan+ but can't see any info on what the service costs. It might very well be Overkill for my needs but I was wondering if it would allow me to ditch Roastmaster. Still I don't see any label making capability integrated into it.

Also, in the file list, Artisan names my roasts by number, can that preference be changed to include the Bean names?

Thanks in advance.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Brewzologist »

Advertisement
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by LBIespresso »

You can change the file name when you save it. As for labels I recall (possibly incorrectly) that Michael @carefreebuzzbuzz generates labels.

I roast around 100 pounds a year up to now I have used the free version and hit donate button but I just saw this:
CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Also if you are home roaster, note the price of Artisan Plus has been reduced for Home Roasters to 49€ per year and now there are discounts from Showroom, Royal, and Genuine Origin with more to come. Great way to support your roasting habit. If you sign up for Plus you won't get donation reminders.
Even if I don't use the discounts it's worth it to me.
LMWDP #580

edwa (original poster)

#4: Post by edwa (original poster) »

Thanks for the quick replies. So that's about $65 a year. I was hoping that Artisan plus could generate a label from a list of data that you the user could choose. I don't need an adhesive bag label, just small bits of paper I tape onto that weeks Mason jar to ID which is which.

I suppose I could grab a partial screenshot of the summary and then figure out how to paste all of them on one page for printing?

So what's your work flow with Artisan+? Do you fill in all the info before you start each individual roast or do you sit down afterwards and fill in all the info, or do you input it it while roasting?

Thanks again.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by LBIespresso »

I just found out about the 50€ deal so I need to see if there is anything that I will do differently.

But I put batch data like weight and volume in before and then post roast data in after. Then I run the analyzer and record all of that and more in a spreadsheet (I'm a spreadsheet geek from my old career). Then, after I cup, I run the ranking report and put any relevant info I see there along with my cupping notes in my spreadsheet.

I haven't felt the need to "Ray Kroc" my workflow but if I did this for a living I would need to :lol:
LMWDP #580

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

What do you mean by "Ray Kroc" my workflow?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#7: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

LBIespresso wrote:You can change the file name when you save it. As for labels I recall (possibly incorrectly) that Michael @carefreebuzzbuzz generates labels.

I roast around 100 pounds a year up to now I have used the free version and hit donate button but I just saw this:

Even if I don't use the discounts it's worth it to me.

Yep the roast reports to excel (or csv) from Artisan contain all the data. You can then use a word processor to include what you want via mail merge. My sheets do 6 at a time. Here is a sample.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Advertisement
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

edwa wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. So that's about $65 a year. I was hoping that Artisan plus could generate a label from a list of data that you the user could choose. I don't need an adhesive bag label, just small bits of paper I tape onto that weeks Mason jar to ID which is which.

Thanks again.

You can do it in Artisan - see my post. The reason to do Plus is to support Artisan so that you continue to get improved software. The new preference is that people sign up for Plus rather make a donation. That way you get greens discounts and some inventory management too.
Artisan.Plus User-

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

accidental post deleted.
Artisan.Plus User-

edwa (original poster)

#10: Post by edwa (original poster) »

Thanks again for the great suggestions. Michael, I have donated a few times to Artisan but the Plus system is probably where I'll end up for my small Bean inventory. It will certainly cut down on my data inputting with the iPad app. I tried a few samples of the partial screen grab and then dragged and dropped them into the Mac app "Pages" and printed a page of that. Pretty easy, and then I'll start editing my file names. Will it be possible to find through a search function within Plus all the roasts I did with, say, Costa Rica Las Montanas?