My First Crown Jewel - A Lesson Learned

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mgrayson »

Yay! It arrived. My first Crown Jewel from Royal Coffee. Peru Organic El Diamante Flores Family Raised Bed Dried . What kind of bag did they use for 22 lbs of coffee? I lifted the bag from the box and there was this unmistakeable sound:

I lost 164 grams to the floor. Not sure what to do with them. Anyway, that leaves 21,836 grams. I'll manage. :D

Matt

Edit: I did the math wrong. It's 9,836 grams left. Did a roast using the Ikawa inlet profile on the Crown website. So far, so good.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane »

Rinse with water or, 3-minute ground rule come into effect. I've dropped ice creme on the floor and still ate it.

civ

#3: Post by civ »

Hello:
mgrayson wrote: What kind of bag did they use for 22 lbs of coffee?
The wrong one?
mgrayson wrote: Not sure what to do with them.
No big deal ...
You have no idea what those beans have been through.

So ...
Carefully sweep them up.
Put them in a pasta colander (or similar artifact) and shake them thoroughly so any and all dust from the floor gets filtered out, so to speak.
Repeat if necessary.
Then roast, rest, grind, pull and enjoy.

PD: you may want consider purchasing your greens elsewhere.

Best,

CIV

mgrayson (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mgrayson (original poster) »

mkane wrote:Rinse with water or, 3-minute ground rule come into effect. I've dropped ice creme on the floor and still ate it.
:D
It's more the cat litter and hair. I've rinsed it and it's drying... Everything else is in five 2kg Ecotact bags now.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by ShotClock »

I hate to add insult to injury, but I believe the boxes are 22lb, not 22kg. You actually only have 9,836g remaining - it's far worse than you thought...

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mgrayson (original poster) replying to ShotClock »

Of course, you are correct. I even knew that. That's why I said 5 2kg bags.

rmongiovi

#7: Post by rmongiovi »

Yeah, remember you're going to roast it. I don't think I'd worry too much about any germs.

On the other hand, you may be the discoverer of the coffee + kitty litter blend that starts a new revolution in removing harsh tastes from coffee. Or would that have to be civet litter?

EvanOz85

#8: Post by EvanOz85 »

Those beans ship from the farm far filthier than anything they may pick up from your floor.

You do realize that 400+ degrees of roasting temperature sterilizes them, right?

mkane
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane »

betcha Royal will replace what you lost.

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mgrayson (original poster) »

rmongiovi wrote:Yeah, remember you're going to roast it. I don't think I'd worry too much about any germs.

On the other hand, you may be the discoverer of the coffee + kitty litter blend that starts a new revolution in removing harsh tastes from coffee. Or would that have to be civet litter?
I'm not worried about germs! Dirt - in the form of anything that would harm a grinder - or get into the innards of the Ikawa - is more my concern. I'm not actually worried. I was just a bit traumatized by the industrial accident :shock:

While I love the history of great accidental discoveries (stainless steel, teflon), I highly doubt that kitty litter and coffee will join their ranks.
mkane wrote:betcha Royal will replace what you lost.
I'm not upset about it. I just have to be careful next time!