My First Crown Jewel - A Lesson Learned - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
littlenut

#21: Post by littlenut »

I had the same split bag in the same/similar location with the same Crown Jewel.

My thoughts are a little dust/dirt is of no concern....It will be heated to >200°C over ~10 minutes.
As others pointed out check for other items that were on your floor that would be a "problem" and remove/separate them.
If you still have heartburn, sweep the beans up and pitch them.

My plan for next CJ is to take care that the bag may be damaged.

HTH,
LN

mgrayson (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by mgrayson (original poster) replying to littlenut »

Those swept up beans are going into the roaster today. Yesterday's roast was fantastic. Aeropress an hour post-roast and espresso this morning were both shockingly good for so unrested.

littlenut

#23: Post by littlenut replying to mgrayson »

Good to hear. I roasted 2 batches the other day, but gifted both :-/

SutterMill

#24: Post by SutterMill »

mgrayson wrote:Those swept up beans are going into the roaster today. Yesterday's roast was fantastic. Aeropress an hour post-roast and espresso this morning were both shockingly good for so unrested.
If this roast comes out exceptionally smooth it may be the start of the kitty litter craze.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#25: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to SutterMill »

Cortado (my cat not the coffee drink) has been been tasting for me the last month. So I will just call it the kitty craze. Never had a cat sample coffee before Cortado.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Supporter ♡

#26: Post by mgrayson (original poster) replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Wow! Soup (my cat) will not go near the stuff. He didn't even lie on top of the pile of spilled beans, and I was paying attention to it!

I made an adjustment to the Ikawa 50g profile for larger doses (i.e. increased the fan speed). 75g came out a bit darker, 100g "kitty litter" edition came out a bit lighter than 100g of normal greens. It lost more moisture, too, which may be because I rinsed it off yesterday.

Tasting notes to come, which from me means either wow, good, meh, or bad. :shock:

Matt

Supporter ♡

#27: Post by mgrayson (original poster) »

Update: First, the Peru Organic El Diamante Flores... is stellar. I may have too much, but I think it's in the "pry it from my cold dead fingers" category. As many of you promised, the swept up greens were just fine after a quick rinse and dry. Second, I got a very nice message from Chris at Royal saying that this is a recognized problem they have taken steps to prevent. Indeed, my second (yes, it's getting out of hand) Crown Jewel arrived intact.

So all is well!

bean2friends

#28: Post by bean2friends »

I've even swept up roasted beans that spilled out from my cooler onto the driveway. My main concern was to avoid pebbles.

dynamiteid

#29: Post by dynamiteid »

Wow, I just received a 22lbs box of the Crown Jewel Ethiopian Decaf, and the bag was split in the box at the same place. I will notify Royal. It is obviously a bag defect they should be aware of.

I picked up every one of those precious beans
off of the floor with no worries... Now to try and see if I can achieve the flavors described by Royal.

Supporter ♡

#30: Post by mgrayson (original poster) replying to dynamiteid »

They're very aware of it, but it's always worth reporting another bag failure.