Morten Munchow on Tim Wendelboe's podcast

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

Tim Wendelboe's podcast was on hiatus for a while but he recently put up a couple episodes with Morten Munchow.

If you roast, then I think that you will get a lot out of these two podcast episodes.

Usual podcast places, e.g., https://timwendelboe.podbean.com/
39:06 Episode 9 - Coffee Scientist Morten Munchow on Coffee Roasting Sep 10th, 2021 by timwendelboe

The guest in this episode is Mr. Morten Munchow who is an old coffee friend of mine. Morten is a scientist and runs the company Coffee Mind. Morten and his colleague lda Steen have been doing a lot of interesting research within the coffee world, mainly focusing on coffee roasting and the sensory evaluation of coffee. They also provide training for both coffee professionals and other people who are interested in coffee roasting and sensory training.

love speaking with Morten as he always strive to educate people based on known facts rather than assumptions and theories. He is always very good at talking about complex subjects but making them simple and understandable for people who are not scientists.

Join me in this episode as we discuss some of his research on coffee roasting. the importance of using quality ingredients, and why you must measure roast colour if you are a coffee roaster
28:40 Episode 10 - Morten Munchow on Organic
Acids in Coffee Sep 16th, 2021 by timwendelboe
In this particular episode, Morten is talking about some of their latest research on organic acids in coffee. You can also learn more by watching their videos on this subject on www.coffee-mind.com or their YouTube channel.
Video of the talk given in Korea referred to in the second podcast (maybe just skip to 17:43): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWU89WjBLIk

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Very interesting, especially since the quantity of the organic acids present doesn't seem to match up with the sensory experience in coffee.

I found this video tour of the Coffee-Mind Academy interesting as well:
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

lancealot

#3: Post by lancealot »

Yakster, I had a similar but different observation.

The lack of sugars present does not seem to match with the amount of time coffee people spend describing coffee as sweet.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) » replying to lancealot »

The sugars have a reasonable hypothesis, though - the surrounding chemicals. For example, strawberry tea has no sugar, but it tastes sweet - the 'taste' has a lot to do with smell.

We're obviously perceiving acidity in coffee; the point was that the commonly-cited explanation of that perception appears to be wrong; the reason is not as trivial as the presence of acid. On a related note, cold brew is often cited as having less acid than hot brew - but it doesn't; it is perceived as tasting less acidic.

We're all just deluding ourselves and should just drink cheap instant coffee :mrgreen: .

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Or we should rely on sensory measurements primarily to describe the quality of coffee rather than objective measures that don't necessarily map to the taste of the coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

yakster wrote:I found this video tour of the Coffee-Mind Academy interesting as well:
1kg Loring!!!

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

yakster wrote:Or we should rely on sensory measurements primarily to describe the quality of coffee rather than objective measures that don't necessarily map to the taste of the coffee.
Stop it! The TDS devotees will lose their minds. :lol:
Dan Kehn

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Morten Munchow has a Roast Colour Palette to help you match your roast color to a sample. Available on the coffee-mind website and on Amazon. You could probably use it for crudite when your not roasting. :lol:
-Chris

LMWDP # 272