Misty Valley Yirgacheffe

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
dhdhk

#1: Post by dhdhk »

Just roasted a batch of Misty Valley Yirgacheffe that was recommended by the community as a Blueberry Bomb... So far not disappointed! Def strong blueberry notes, juicy, sweet. Its only been a two days, so eager to see how it develops.

What do you think about my roasting curve? Im roasting on a home electric drum roaster

addertooth

#2: Post by addertooth »

This is one of my favorite beans. It certainly has a well defined blueberry note when roasted right. If the blueberry taste is "muddy" and not clear, then there is something off on the roasting profile. I used a different style of roaster, so comparing curves does not apply. You seem to hit full yellow (DE) about 30 seconds faster than I do, so your Rate of Rise is quicker early on. The Roasts I have done of the bean hits First Crack at about the same time (10:30 on my roasts). I tend to start reducing my rate of rise a bit earlier, and stretch out the development phase longer to bring out some additional non-blueberry flavors as well. On my last batch they were dropped at 12:30 seconds for about a 20 percent development phase.

But, taste is the real yardstick. Just hitting the numbers does not matter if you feel like the bean had additional flavor which was not fully revealed. If you enjoy the coffee, then you did quite well.

dhdhk (original poster)

#3: Post by dhdhk (original poster) »

Yeah i think I could have reduced the ROR a bit earlier, but then I was also trying to hit FC fairly quickly... I think hitting first early is good to bring out the brightness and fruit? I've seen a lot of skilled roasters hit FC around 7 or 8 mins.

addertooth

#4: Post by addertooth »

I think you will find most people do agree with the goal of hitting First Crack quickly on high-altitude high-density fruity beans. As you point out, it produces a secondary challenge of tapering off the heat at the right moment to have a long enough of a development phase.

Milligan

#5: Post by Milligan »

I'd keep the charge temp the same and give it more heat. As a side note, I'd let the temp go past the charge temp. Then lower your heat to slightly to drift back down to your charge temp. Charge. Then set your heat where you want it for the start of the roast. This allows more latent heat to store in your roaster instead of charging coming up from a colder temp. From what I remember with the Misty, it was most balanced around 15% total dev time ratio if you want the blueberry. Going up to 20% brought out more of the chocolate undertones which were quite pleasant as well. It is a pretty forgiving bean for light roast.

Trjelenc

#6: Post by Trjelenc »

Are we talking about Coffee Bean Corral Misty Valley here?

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by wingnutsglory replying to Trjelenc »

I wanted to know the same. And is it the most recent crop?

addertooth

#8: Post by addertooth »

Yes, one of the resellers is coffee bean corral. Roasted right, the blueberry flavor is unquestionable.

dhdhk (original poster)

#9: Post by dhdhk (original poster) »

Yeah correct this is the most recent batch of CBC Misty Valley.

Had some more Americanos with the beans, super tasty. Sweet, juicy, blueberry, chocolate

dhdhk (original poster)

#10: Post by dhdhk (original poster) »

Milligan wrote:I'd keep the charge temp the same and give it more heat. As a side note, I'd let the temp go past the charge temp. Then lower your heat to slightly to drift back down to your charge temp. Charge. Then set your heat where you want it for the start of the roast. This allows more latent heat to store in your roaster instead of charging coming up from a colder temp. From what I remember with the Misty, it was most balanced around 15% total dev time ratio if you want the blueberry. Going up to 20% brought out more of the chocolate undertones which were quite pleasant as well. It is a pretty forgiving bean for light roast.
Cool let me try this next time for the charge!