Mill City 1k/North TJ- 067 electrical troubleshooting

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Nickb13

#1: Post by Nickb13 »

Last month I upgraded from a Fresh Roast 500 to a used Mill City 1k/ North TJ- 067. It was working great for a couple days but after moving it around I had a metal braided thermostat cable making contact inside the control panel and it tripped the internal breaker. After moving that problem cable it stopped tripping the breaker but now will not turn on. Would love to ask if you have any advice for where to start. The breaker has been reset but I can't get any power on. I'm so afraid that something may have been damaged. Thanks in advance if you're available to help.

TallDan

#2: Post by TallDan »

Any sign of life from the roaster at all? Lights or relays clicking?

Are you using the transformer that mill city provided with the roasters to supply 220v? That has a fuse in it.

(Also, hello from another Cook County Mill City user!)

Nickb13 (original poster)

#3: Post by Nickb13 (original poster) »

Hi there! I'm in Lombard these days. Not too far from the city.
No sign of life at all except when I had that arc from the thermostat cable contact and the lights flashed on for a split second.
No step up converter on mine it has a 220 30 amp plug natively. The cord comes out near the gas valves with no extra outside transformer. I'll have to look inside tomorrow morning to see if there's a transformer in there. I've got it plugged in a 50 amp 220 outlet using an adapter hoping that's not an issue.

It did work fine before moving it around today. The seller roasted 6lbs on it while I was buying it.

Hope this extra info helps.

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

Call Steve at Mill City. He or Nick can help. db
-----
LMWDP #339

EddyQ

#5: Post by EddyQ »

When you say a breaker flipped and was reset, was that inside the roaster or external ? The roaster has a cheap circuit breaker internally and is a pain to access. Mine flips for no reason on occasion. And it also doesn't reset very good. Often I think I reset it and still no power. So I have to do it again.

Good luck. You may need to get the volt meter out soon. If you do, be careful in there. There are plenty of places to get shocked.
LMWDP #671

#6: Post by Nickb13 (original poster) »

I am referring to the GFCI circuit breaker inside the roaster. That would be the best scenario is that I'm not properly resetting it. Is there anything else to consider when flipping the breaker back to the live position? Is there another step that makes it truly reset?

EddyQ

#7: Post by EddyQ »

I wish I knew how to tell a better way to reset, but that I don't know. I always tend to fuss with it every time it happens. But it doesn't happen often and might have been a year ago last.
LMWDP #671

EddyQ

#8: Post by EddyQ »

Another place to ask is over at the northroasterforum.com.
It is not as active as here, but there are many Mill City owners.
LMWDP #671

#9: Post by Nickb13 (original poster) »

I signed up on the Northroasterforum and I am awaiting entry pending staff approval. Also gave a call to Mill City yesterday morning and am awaiting a response from their team.

I did get a multimeter and can see that power is getting into the internal GFCI breaker but no signs of life at the control panel. The power switch came apart during moving and wasn't an issue turning on when it worked that first time I tried it. Is there any potential that the switch isn't being pressed in and turned correctly or that there is a safety mechanism like a door that is ajar or gas in a line, etc. that would stop the power from turning on? I also tried bridging the power switch manually but nothing there either so I don't think the switch is the issue.

#10: Post by Nickb13 (original poster) »

FYI Nick at Mill City responded back to me quick and has been super helpful. I'll keep this group posted as I troubleshoot further with them.