Mexico - Red 5th December "Barrio de Cebollin"

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by ShotClock »

Anyone roasting this? I got a few pounds from showroom a couple of months ago, and was using it for some rather mediocre air roasting experiments. I tried it in the Cormorant yesterday, and had a quite spectacular success. Roasted to about 25F past first crack gives a rich body with cherry cordial acidity, milk chocolate and hazelnut praline on the finish. One of the best single origin espresso I've had, let alone roasted. Unfortunately, it's out of stock at showroom, will certainly pick some more up if it comes back.

ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

Interestingly to me, the sweet cherry acidity at the front of this one gradually faded over a week to a classic Mexican chocolate bomb, with a praline finish. Really quite good, but not amazing like when it was fresh. Will be going 5F or so lighter next time to try and bring out the cherry notes for longer.

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Very interesting. We've had some very good Mexican coffee from Chiapas.
Do you know the regional origin of your beans?

Thanks for posting.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

They're from Oaxaca - showroom has another lot from the same co-op, but I haven't tried it. Crop to cup still has some, so maybe it will return. Have had some really great Mexican coffees over the last year or two - i was put on to them by Second State in Charleston, who were pulling one as a single origin espresso. Have found them to be more to my taste than Guatemalans recently, although they have a similar chocolate bomb profile.