MCR Roast Path - Path to Artisan isn't easy

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#1: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

As many of you know, I have a MCR 500 gram back from 2018 when they still ran on Phidgets.

As MCR's Roast Path is no longer free having coming out of beta, many are asking about using Artisan.

Cropster has a detailed article on the large number of different set ups MCR has had over the years.

The transition is not easy so you need to either dig into the details of your meters and sort things out.

Or if a number of people with similar machines would like to pool funds, I could arrange for a group project to solve the puzzles. I don't have specifics as I think it may be hard for MCR owners to get a group together if you look at the Cropster article.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Milligan »

Any idea what thy are charging for Roast Path? They had "request a quote" on their website, but I didn't see the details listed. It has been interesting seeing them build out the functionality of their software. I honestly didn't know it would be a subscription/additional cost above and beyond the 20%+ additional cost to get the "digital" versions of their roaster that uses the advanced features of Roast Path. When I was contacting manufacturers for roasters last year I don't recall any that charged for the automation/logging features above and beyond the initial purchase price.

Have you had a chance to use RP Michael?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

No but am told a few that have that it doesn't have the flexibility of Artisan.
Artisan.Plus User-

gscace

#4: Post by gscace »

Milligan wrote:Any idea what thy are charging for Roast Path? They had "request a quote" on their website, but I didn't see the details listed. It has been interesting seeing them build out the functionality of their software. I honestly didn't know it would be a subscription/additional cost above and beyond the 20%+ additional cost to get the "digital" versions of their roaster that uses the advanced features of Roast Path. When I was contacting manufacturers for roasters last year I don't recall any that charged for the automation/logging features above and beyond the initial purchase price.

Have you had a chance to use RP Michael?
There is a free version and I think functionality is reduced. There's a $9/month version that has full functionality. The free version doesn't save roasts but the workaround is to take screenshots of the profiles. You can't superimpose your current roast on top of your favorite profile with the free one though. I used the beta version with my MCR-1 and switched to the cheapest subscription once Roastpath went live. I just don't have time for another engineering task and I'm used to Roastpath. It's useful for me. Plus as far as I'm concerned, Mill City customer service is unbelievably good and I really like them as a company - from buying my roaster to engineering and sourcing the exhaust and getting me through initial startup. Can't say enough good things about them.

-Greg

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Milligan »

Good to hear. $9 a month is nothing for a commercial program. Of course to get full functionally one is already in $4k additional for the digital version of the roaster. I recall them discussing the potential for profiles to be released along side their green offerings. Seems interesting although I think it may be hard to develop a profile that works under many conditions especially as the greens age. What a cool program to have for people getting started or wanting to add a mini roastery to an established cafe. MCR have come a long way in the last few years. Fun to see their growth.

gscace

#6: Post by gscace replying to Milligan »

I have an MCR-1 that I just got running maybe 3 months ago. The MCR-1 doesn't have a digital option and is fully manual. That's fine by me as I need to support my lab work and please the fambly and myself. I'm not running a production ship. What I like about it combined with Roastpath is that I can superimpose my current graphs for ambient, drum and bean temperature on top of my reference profile, which is quite helpful and way better than I could do with my last roaster. I really like that roaster. Now that I'm learning it I'm finding I can be waay more consistent than my old Has Garanti 1 kg electric roaster (which I used for almost 20 years), and the MCR-1 is way more tuneable to different profiles. Wish this had been available to me years ago.

-Greg

azfurniss

#7: Post by azfurniss »

Hi Michael, I'm happy to chip in if there are others interested as well. Feel free to message me for additional details and requirements.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:As many of you know, I have a MCR 500 gram back from 2018 when they still ran on Phidgets.

As MCR's Roast Path is no longer free having coming out of beta, many are asking about using Artisan.

Cropster has a detailed article on the large number of different set ups MCR has had over the years.

The transition is not easy so you need to either dig into the details of your meters and sort things out.

Or if a number of people with similar machines would like to pool funds, I could arrange for a group project to solve the puzzles. I don't have specifics as I think it may be hard for MCR owners to get a group together if you look at the Cropster article.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by Milligan »

gscace wrote:I have an MCR-1 that I just got running maybe 3 months ago. The MCR-1 doesn't have a digital option and is fully manual. That's fine by me as I need to support my lab work and please the fambly and myself. I'm not running a production ship. What I like about it combined with Roastpath is that I can superimpose my current graphs for ambient, drum and bean temperature on top of my reference profile, which is quite helpful and way better than I could do with my last roaster. I really like that roaster. Now that I'm learning it I'm finding I can be waay more consistent than my old Has Garanti 1 kg electric roaster (which I used for almost 20 years), and the MCR-1 is way more tuneable to different profiles. Wish this had been available to me years ago.

-Greg
Yes, I love being able to have a background profile to follow or iterate from. I use Artisan. I believe that functionality was added a bit ago. It is very valuable to develop profiles for new coffees with. Artisan is very configurable but takes awhile to wrap your head around and then there is even more after that. :shock: There is value in being able to install a program already set up for your roaster. I'm betting the Artisan community will have profiles available eventually.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) replying to Milligan »

In a way this is already there for Artisan Plus users. You can share bean data and roasting profiles. It's not a library to search.

Anything that Roast Path can do for automation, Artisan can do as well. One just needs to learn the advanced functions.

A new release will be out by month end, fyi.
Artisan.Plus User-

daustin777

#10: Post by daustin777 »

I received my MCR 500g in Sept 2020. I think it may have been one of the first batches without Phidgets. I had to do research on MODBUS and through trial and error with settings in Artisan, I got it running.
David Austin