Kaldi Wide 400

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
LR3

#1: Post by LR3 »

I've seen a lot of positive post on this roaster. Where is the best place to purchase it?

Capuchin Monk

#2: Post by Capuchin Monk »

I bought mine on eBay a few years ago when they didn't have sales tax. Delivery was fast. Things may be little different now. :?:

Advertisement
littlenut

#3: Post by littlenut »

LR3 wrote:I've seen a lot of positive post on this roaster. Where is the best place to purchase it?
Hi Lance,

Check the usual (Amazon, e-bay...) and factor in shipping/sales tax. The Kaldi site https://eng.homecaffe.net/ needs to be on your list. You'll have to create an account to message/question, but they are very helpful/responsive.

I'm assuming you've done your due diligence in evaluating and selecting the roaster that is best for you. e.g. What capacity roaster do I need??, how are you going to induce a draft thru the roaster?, how you are going to heat your roaster??, where are you going to locate your roaster while roasting??,how you are going to cool the beans?, how you are going to separate the chaff?, how you are going to monitor and control the roasting parameters? Will you use "Artisan" and how you will connect it??.... Also why the Kaldi 400 vs other drum roasters??, semi-fluid bed roasters, electric roasters...?

HTH,
LN

LR3 (original poster)

#4: Post by LR3 (original poster) »

I have been looking at different machines for a while. I like this one but would love to hear your thoughts on others that you like.
I was planning on buying the 400, with chaff/air/cooler side piece. I was asking about purchasing as you said I see them on Amazon, ebay, and this home caffe website which I assume is the factory website from South Korea. It offers a couple more options, and I believe with the approx $500 shipping is still less I was just looking for some advise if that's the better option. I would love your recommendation on the burner and the best model for this. I definitely want and like the Artisan software. I have never roasted beans but I like this setup but am open. So do you have to order the digital, center 306 thermometer/data logger and the software cones with it?. What is this some say nit to order this and order rtd and Phidgets?

Thanks for the advice.

Lance

Capuchin Monk

#5: Post by Capuchin Monk »

LR3 wrote:So do you have to order the digital, center 306 thermometer/data logger and the software cones with it?.
Yes, if you want to use Artisan.

What about Kaldi Fortis? The price is little higher but the higher capacity, bean hopper with closer and built-in vent would be worth it. I modified my Wide 400 to have those for better roasting ergonomics and the time it took me to do all that would cost more than the price difference between Wide 400 and Fortis.

LR3 (original poster)

#6: Post by LR3 (original poster) »

What kind of warranty does the Kaldi wide 400 have?

Mbb

#7: Post by Mbb »

Not a good reason not to get the Fortis Plus except the price.

Advertisement
LR3 (original poster)

#8: Post by LR3 (original poster) »

Are you saying the Fortis is the way to go?
Do any of these have a warranty?
Is the Fortis that much better than the 400?
400 appears to be a good roaster.

Capuchin Monk

#9: Post by Capuchin Monk »

LR3 wrote:Are you saying the Fortis is the way to go?
Do any of these have a warranty?
Is the Fortis that much better than the 400?
Some of the reasons for Fortis is listed on post #5. As for the warranty, you can contact the company (link shown on post #3) and ask them.

LR3 (original poster)

#10: Post by LR3 (original poster) »

The consensus from you guys seemed to point to the Kaldi Fortis's advantages outweighing the additional funds in comparison to the Kaldi wide 400. I took the plunge and ordered the Fortis with the chaff collector/cooler last night. Mr. Wong had replied to me yesterday also on the warranty (below)

What is the preferred burner? BBQ guys quit selling the Cajun Classic than many preferred and purchased.

The fixed warranty period is one year, but you can use it well without any major breakdowns. Should any problems arise, we will do our best to help you.

Thanks, best regards,
Hong/CEO