Making the ROEST (100g and 3kg) [VIDEO]

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

The video is pretty much an advertisement, but I always wondered what is inside these roasters.

Ten minutes long.
ETA: Last year, the L100 sample roaster started at $7.2k, and the P2000 1kg-2kg was expected to be $16k (P2000 is now P3000 3kg, no price announced, maybe at April SCA Portland?). https://dailycoffeenews.com/2022/04/08/ ... ne-coming/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

DenisSabou

#2: Post by DenisSabou »

I have the roaster s100+ since May 2022, recently upgraded to max options L100+. Did ±900 batches on it already. If I can answer some questions, let me know what you would like to know.

The team is great, answers really quick to any question, they do an amazing job upgrading and improving the user experience (similar upgrades rate both hardware and software to Decent espresso).

It roasts now up to 200g per batch easily, heating time is 5 to 10 min max (there is a drum temp sensor to check when the temp is stable). The best feature is the online client, there was a lot of info going on but now it's a lot more (color, cupping sheets, bean inventory library, comparing roasts, graphs, whatever you can think off).

there are a few videos dropped in the past months on youtube displaying the capabilities of the roaster. If I can help or answer anything, just let me know (I also know what's inside as I did make 2 fluid bed roasters and had a modded solid drum gas roaster before Roest).

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

I have to watch the video and maybe that answers my question.

Just in terms of design of fluid bed roasters, I am interested in recirculation. It seems to me there could be some improvement in heat transfer if air recirculates, relative to cool ambient air continually causing air eddies and temperature fluctuations mixing at or before the roast chamber inlet. But would the roast gases possibly degrade roast quality some if they recirculate?

[EDIT: I saw the nice video tour. No design secrets given away there. Shucks! I like that for them electric was better than their gas prototypes.]
LMWDP #198

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Milligan »

The 1kg model is interesting. It seems like an option for smaller cafes that want to do a roast program. Equipment cost is on par to a good commercial espresso machine. A highly skilled roast master is likely not needed with all the automation of the unit. Getting it dialed in to "good enough" is likely easy.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Milligan wrote:The 1kg model is interesting. ...
Sorry, it was a 1kg, then it was 1kg-2kg, but now those prototypes have been replaced by an upcoming 3kg.

Capuchin Monk

#6: Post by Capuchin Monk »

baldheadracing wrote:and the P2000 1kg-2kg was expected to be $16k
Yikes! :shock: There are number of 1 -2kg roaster for a lot less.

PaulTheRoaster

#7: Post by PaulTheRoaster »

Does the first-crack detector work well with decaf?
(I think so many pro roasters don't roast decaf at all or don't roast decaf well because first crack is quiet and the color is so different to regular coffee.)

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to PaulTheRoaster »

I don't know about the first-crack detector, but in loud roasters like Loring, some roasters (people) arbitrarily mark first crack at a temperature. For example, if the greens have a first crack of 385F in the sample roaster, then they will just use 385F as the mark for first crack in the loud production roaster.

DenisSabou

#9: Post by DenisSabou »

You can't get automated roasters for that money, not even close. Also maybe you missed the upcoming ideas and features, but it will allow you to press a button and roast with a modern automated hopper. There will also be a camera inside to take information on bean size, shape and color.

The idea behind this p3000 is to have it placed in a business and that a non skilled person will simply press a buton and roast. No need to follow the roast, stay on the buttons, smell turns wheels and such. All you will need is to empty the chaff and do the cleaning every few cycles. The roaster will also have a massive automated hopper that you drop your bag of coffee into and the machine will dose into the roaster on auto the desired weight you input. So this means that again you dont have a man sitting in front of the machine 24/24 to roast.

Yes, you can get a 2kg chinese roaster for 5-6k, but what you gonna do with it? ride the wind and temp surfing and batch protocol and output big variation in roasting the beans, yikes.

The first crack detector is really handy, the roaster is silent and you can hear the crack (it's not as loud as a loring) the first crack detector counts the crack for you but it also display the rate of crack intensity trend on an uprising curve. Once the curve starts to get a plateau you know first crack is over (another handy info).

Jonk

#10: Post by Jonk »

Chert wrote:But would the roast gases possibly degrade roast quality some if they recirculate?
If the air is not filtered in some way, yes - the roast would be very smoky. I have tried roasting in an un-vented oven, it was undrinkable (not even close to smoky in a good way). Commercial roasters with recirculating air have some form of mixing or purifying to avoid this.