Making the ROEST (100g and 3kg) [VIDEO] - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#41: Post by Milligan »

Do they have an option that weighs the beans as they come out? That would be pretty slick to have weight loss and color calculated automatically. The number of beans cracked is very interesting as well. I don't know of any research regarding number of cracks vs number of beans going in. It could likely even make a graph of the distribution of cracks throughout first crack and that could be used as another data set for the momentum built leading into first crack. Lots of fun to be found.

The ROEST seems to have enough inputs and outputs to start using learning algorithms along with goal sliders to auto dial-in a roast profile based on a roaster's output goals. Perhaps 2-4 roasts to converge on a preferred profile. Then if it could translate that to the 3kg+ roaster it would completely change the workflow. I look at tech like this and see it less about removing the roaster and more about reduced workflow and bean waste.

DenisSabou

#42: Post by DenisSabou »

You can zoom in on a graph and see the intensity of the crack, the counts but also the trend.

Also the weight in/out is a thing of mine to log as much data as possible that is objective to give me more consistency and better understand on my conclusions. After 2000-3000 roasts i'm sure you can say some stuff for your particular roaster. I log moisture content, density, color, bean weight loss, and ambiental conditions for roasting (moisture in the room- have a moisture meter roasting indoors with a hose connected out so the exterior temp has no influence on me, also logging temp in the room, and because it's a inlet temp pid controlled profile there is no importance if any electrical devices are switched on while roasting, or if my socket plug voltage goes up and down).

Logging weight loss, correlating it with color and cupping I can pinpoint now easily if a roast is underdeveloped. Since i'm roasting on the super light spectrum of roasting the underdevelopment feature is the one it's more present in my roasts.

This is the 2 roast curves posted prior today. The greens are from Kaffa Oslo, I get their own filter roast and green so I can have a benchmark to check my stuff.
The scale is agtron gourmet, grind is much finer than espresso so the values are higher for agtron.

Advertisement
DenisSabou

#43: Post by DenisSabou »

A new post on sample roasting that includes roest sample roaster. Of course that some people will take this as a promotion, but I feel the market is lacking quite a bit of options when it comes to roasting compared to let's say espresso or brewing devices.

https://www.scottrao.com/blog/sample-roasting

There are a few products launched now and then but they are focusing on home users not to be used for commercial purposes (kaffe logic/sandbox/bunafr.

To not loose track of myself and believe i'm roasting godly, I buy almost each month a bag of coffee roasted by the best in the world. Last month was Rose- Matt Winton Kenya, this month was Tim Wendelboe Karogoto (had it in december too already old crop but still good- 115 agtron gourmet reading) and next month is russian friend from Stereo Coffee winning 1st place at national roasting competition with his Kenya (i'm focusing mostly on kenya/ethiopia despite the crop being low quality for the last years).

Again, you can ask me anything, I can answer with pictures, screenshots, videos.

TeslaBB

#44: Post by TeslaBB replying to DenisSabou »

I am really interested in the Roest L100 plus. I have researched roasting on and off for about a year. I just recently learned of the Roest from Scott Rao's blog. This is the first roaster that I am really impressed by. Especially from the aspects of build quality and ease of maintenance . It is a large investment for a home roaster, but I think I would enjoy the experimentation and the satisfaction of roasting my own coffee. I noticed the profiles on the Roest portal/forum are somewhat limited. I like very light roast coffees as well. Lately, I have enjoyed experimental type processed coffees like those produced by Diego Bermudez. I know those can be more difficult to roast. I would also like to try roasting coffees that are fermented with fruits. Would you have any profiles to share that would give a good starting point for roasting these types of experimental coffees? To not waste a lot of good green coffee with the aid of the instrumentation and profiles would be a definite plus. Thank you.