Looking for Liberica - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I roasted up three batches of coffee this morning, starting with the Liberica followed by Ecuador Finca Terrazas del Pisque and finishing with the crowd pleasing Ethiopia Dry Process Buno Dambi Uddo.

The Liberica was a real challenge, I'm glad I increased my order from 2 pounds to 5 pounds so I'll have more chances to try dialing in this coffee. The prep on this coffee from the Philippians is not the best, it doesn't look like they did any grading for size and there's pieces of pulp and defective green coffee in the bag. I culled about 13 grams of green coffee to make a 600 gram batch.

The green coffee (defects shown below) is tan-yellow already making it hard to mark full yellow as a roasting milestone. Not only that, but the beans are small and dense and I either missed hearing first crack completely or it started at a much higher temperature than I'm used to on my Bullet. My Bullet uses an Infra-Red bean temp sensor and my first crack temps are normally VERY consistent around 211 C independent of batch size, so much so that I can use the been temp on Arabica coffee to mark first crack, I marked first crack from audio cues on this Liberica coffee and it was at 223 C at 10 minutes. I took it past first crack until I started to smell something good in the beans. The green coffee didn't have much of a smell and I didn't get much from the roast until I dropped the coffee. By the time I dropped the coffee the garage had filled with a lot of smoke, leading me to think I might have been in second crack by then, but the weight loss was only 15.2%. My ROR (Rate of Rise) was low at what I marked as first crack which could have contributed to an anemic real first crack where I may not have heard it.

I'm interested to try this coffee out. Next time I may try a smaller batch.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jonk

#22: Post by Jonk »

Could very well be some Excelsa mixed in with true Liberica - considering poor sorting I wouldn't completely trust the sourcing either. Not that it matters much if it tastes good :) a little jealous of those greens either way..

I was able to find some S-795 in a mix from Indonesia and roast it today at least 8) will have a taste tomorrow.

Supporter ♡

#23: Post by yakster (original poster) »

When we got to my mom's house today, one of the first things I did was brew a cup of the Liberica, but first I had to find where she stashed the grinder. My mom asked for a single cup brewer after my dad passed because she wasn't drinking up the pots fast enough, this Cuisinart doesn't do a bad job with paper filters and fresh coffee.

The coffee already shows a few beans with oil sheen on the surface so I must have entered second crack. I enjoyed it, it had some creamy leather, dry cocoa powder, and cherry notes and I think when I brew it in my travel French press it'll be even better.

The family all enjoyed it too.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
★ Helpful

NH

#24: Post by NH »

Ordered a kilo from beanshipper about 3 weeks ago, it arrived a week or so ago. Brought it over to my buddy's today to roast on his Cormorant. We did 3 rounds of ~330g each. I'm brand new to roasting, he's been roasting a while. I'll see if I can drag the profiles out of him; none of them were something you'd put on your fridge to show off. Beans were different sizes, though mostly much larger than what you'd normally see. Exciting to see what they'll taste like, though I've got to admit; everything I love about coffee is about process, not outcome.
Through hard work, victory!

Supporter ♡

#25: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Those Malaysian Liberica beans are much larger than the Philippines beans I picked up, though the green seed color looks the same. Was that the natural or the pulp natural? I look forward to hearing how you like it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

NH

#26: Post by NH »

Natural processed. Just got a kilo to try it out. Sent out small ~30g packs today to a bunch of homies of the 3 different roasts. We tend to be a little slapdick in our labeling & tracking, as you can see. Sure is fun to muck about though!

One interesting piece was the labeling on the bag I got; it said it was a 2021 harvest, but when I asked about it I got this:
"All the Liberica coffees are 2022 crop, the 2021 crop are all long gone last year. The Liberica coffees are fresh crop all year long as there are big & small harvest harvest throughout the year. "
Through hard work, victory!

Supporter ♡

#27: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I'm finding with a travel press brew the other day of the Philippines Liberica Batangas after three days and a Tetsu Kasuya hybrid pour-over / immersion of the coffee today with five days rest using the December Dripper that the flavors have moved on from cocoa and cherry and are starting to resonate with some of the descriptions of jackfruit that I've heard. Roast notes are coming out now and there's a sweet, meaty pork like note to the coffee along with a creamy leather note. I'm thinking about how I'm going to approach my next roast since this roast got away from me and into second crack before I really knew it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jonk

#28: Post by Jonk »

yakster wrote:He also mentions that S-795 "Jember" has "really beautiful berry notes and the sweetness" from the Liberica.
This is the blend including S-795 that I have been enjoying the last week: https://sucafina.com/na/offerings/treng ... wet-hulled

It's probably my favourite Indonesian coffee so far, roasted to a nice medium 15% weight loss (darker than I usually like for regular arabica) with no hint of bitterness. Low acidity and fruitier than what 'Mandheling' I've tried before, but far from that lovely funk I'd expect in good Liberica.. So not wanting to sidetrack this thread anymore I'll shut up about S-795 now :D

Supporter ♡

#29: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Don't stop, my buddy picked up some S-795 to roast too so it's related and I'm interested in hearing about your experiences.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ♡

#30: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Still on my first roast of this coffee, the Philippians Liberica Batangas, which unbeknownst to me slipped into 2nd crack and is now dark and oily coffee. I'd been mixing 10 grams of Liberica with 50 grams of my other roasts to use up the smaller bag that I took down to my mom's house but this morning I brewed up 60 grams of the Liberica with 900 ml of water but dropped the brew temp of my Behmor BraZen from 202 F down to 194 F which did a pretty good job of minimizing some of the aspects of this roast that I'm not appreciating now. It still has a bit of the jackfruit meatiness but it tastes better brewed at a lower temp.

Since this coffee rushed through all the phases so quickly, I'm thinking instead of lowering my batch size that I should lower my charge temp to try and get control over the roast. I don't want to increase from 600 gram batch size in the roaster since I don't want to take too long to drink through my experimental batches. Maybe I should lower my batch size and my charge temp to make it faster to converge on a good roast for this coffee. The yellow cast of the green coffee makes my usual visual landmarks hard to call.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272