Looking for Liberica - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I got a call from the company that they sold out of the liberica, but they'll be getting more in February so they're going to hold my order for the next shipment.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ♡

#12: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:Liberica can be great. This is a nice interview with Dr. Steffen Schwartz:
video
It was interesting to note that the coffee is so sweet that it starts to ferment on its own after it's been picked so it needs to be processed right away for best results.

He also mentions that S-795 "Jember" has "really beautiful berry notes and the sweetness" from the Liberica.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jonk

#13: Post by Jonk »

I guess Schwartz is affiliated with Amarella Trading, with limited amounts of green for sale and some more information on the website:
https://www.amarella.com/en/blog/s-795-flavour-of-india
https://www.amarella.com/en/blog/liberi ... otten-kind

I realized I've had some S-795, as an unknown percentage of a mixed harvest with Catimor, Caturra, Catuai and Bourbon from Myanmar. There was an interesting note of banana.. at the time I thought it came from the Catimor..

positivelypositiv

#14: Post by positivelypositiv »

Bummer! I guess that will give you more time to go through some greens. Let us know how it turns out. I'll probably be ready to get a few lbs by then.
yakster wrote:I got a call from the company that they sold out of the liberica, but they'll be getting more in February so they're going to hold my order for the next shipment.

Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster (original poster) »

positivelypositiv wrote:Bummer! I guess that will give you more time to go through some greens. Let us know how it turns out. I'll probably be ready to get a few lbs by then.
The Philippines Co-op grown Liberica Batangas is back in stock at New Orleans Coffee Import here, they've raised the price because their costs for this shipment have gone up.

I increased my order to five pounds of this coffee to give me a fighting chance at getting the roast right as I've heard that they can roast differently than arabica coffees.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster (original poster) »

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

EvanOz85

#17: Post by EvanOz85 »

yakster wrote:The Philippines Co-op grown Liberica Batangas is back in stock at New Orleans Coffee Import here, they've raised the price because their costs for this shipment have gone up.

I increased my order to five pounds of this coffee to give me a fighting chance at getting the roast right as I've heard that they can roast differently than arabica coffees.
Ordered 5lbs as well. This distributor is just a short drive from me, very cool to see here in Louisiana.

Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I got my coffee this morning. Some of the Liberica coffee looks as small as Mokka coffee, but a friend who roasts on a Behmor says that they're not too small for the drum, with only a few broken beans escaping. I measured out 100 grams of each coffee in ramekins, the Liberica is denser. I didn't pick up much aroma from either green coffee. They came in nice Grain Pro bags. I plan to try my first roast tomorrow.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

EvanOz85

#19: Post by EvanOz85 »

Got my 5lbs yesterday. How do you plan on roasting this, Chris? You're on a Bullet right? My past experiences with taking Liberica to any roast level before 2nd crack have been pretty terrible.

Supporter ♡

#20: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I'm still thinking about it. I hadn't planned on going to 2nd crack because I almost never do, maybe I'll take it to Full City and take a sniff to see where things are at and go from there.

How fast has it taken you to get to C1 on your Bullet?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272